Thank you and good night

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I have been keeping fish for 45 years, bred some cool stuff, hope to inspire new bees, hope to challenge those who may be stuck in a rut. I have been lucky, I have been exposed to the conditions in quarantine facilities, I have been exposed to the treatment fish get in commercial breeding operations. I want the average fish keeper not to have to see those things. I want to be able to contribute to the hobby, it is a passion of mine. I always say do your research, trust nobody, follow your instinct. This is not an exact science.

I have been keeping fish for 45 years, bred some cool stuff, hope to inspire new bees, hope to challenge those who may be stuck in a rut. I have been lucky, I have been exposed to the conditions in quarantine facilities, I have been exposed to the treatment fish get in commercial breeding operations. I want the average fish keeper not to have to see those things. I want to be able to contribute to the hobby, it is a passion of mine. I always say do your research, trust nobody, follow your instinct. This is not an exact science.
How noble.

And this sarcastic screed where you said things that no one had actually said helped that... how?

I find it so weird to see such a negative experience of this forum. I came here in July. I had incompatible fish in a small tank. They were dying regularly and the tank was a mess. I met nothing but kindness & reassurance & encouragement. Members here helped me to get the tank cycled by doing daily 75% water changes until the levels (ammonia/Nitrite) stabilised. They helped to advise me about switching from a very open and bare tank with fake plants to a well planted tank with lots of hiding space for my surviving fish. In all the mayhem my Platy dropped fry. Members helped me to ensure a safe & thriving environment for those fry who all survived & are still doing great. When I wanted a new bigger tank members showed endless patience with my never ending questions. There's always been help and knowledge sharing. There isn't always agreement but I tend to look at the discussion and go with what makes the most sense or has supporting evidence.

I think this forum can be what you make of it - you can gain and share knowledge, you can make friends, you can chit chat and get a distraction from the chaos outside. You put in what you get out. Instead of criticising others sometimes it's worth doing a little self reflection. As mentioned tone won't always communicate - you can ask for clarification if unsure. You can throw in an emoji to soften your own tone. If you want to see this forum having more healthy discussion and civil debate then lead the conversation with constructive evidence based dialogue.

Last edited:
Hmmm not really sure what to make of this thread and some of the comments within it.

The thing with any forum, group or club around our hobby is that there are so many places that will tell you what you want to hear, there are forums for all niches (monsters, goldfish, aquascaping). Most things in the hobby are debatable (stocking levels, how to cycle a filter, Co2, aggression, effects of nitrate, effects of hardness) but I think we are very lucky here to have a number of long term members, some scientific brains and a combination of 18 years of conversations and experiences that mean we have something of a recipe for success.

We give people a set of parameters to work in and you can see people learning every week putting together tanks that will last the fishes entire lifespan rather than a few months. Usually the advice is done in best interest rather than convenience, eg catfish and loaches on sand not gravel, choose fish suited to your water, listen to well researched and experienced voices. Usually when people want to go against the mood of this forum its because they cant accept what they have been advised - eg big fish in small tanks, soft fish in hard water (and visa versa), unusual mixes of common 'probem' fish. But for everyone trying something most of us are uncomfortable with and having apparant success there are usually dozens of examples where the exact same thing has gone wrong. Which is why when people join this forum and their tanks are a bit skewiff they get advice and corrections (which is what sometimes puts people off...) but its all done with the best interests of the fish, tank and owner.

What I'm trying to say is by all means have the debate, keep it civil, dont make it personal and know when to listen.

Wills

I know I said I was outta here, but I would like to say one last thing...

I do find it that we sort of jump on new people here, for having incompatible stocking, or having to small of a tank. They don’t know any better and they came here for help, not criticism.

I encourage all of you to soften up a bit when responding to a new members question post. I’m guilty of it as well and I need to watch myself. Thank you! :)

Well it seems to me that you're just a condescending ass who misses the purpose of this channel it is for people who enjoy fish and keeping them to get together and share ideas now I do agree with some of the things you say but the way you sound you make it sound like your ideas are the only ones that are right and everybody else is Ludacris that's what you come to a forum Channel 4 to share ideas and methods of taking care of fish if you don't like it sign off of it

I agree with the new member comment about getting on new members but the thing of it is you need to look I may be a new member on here but I have dealt with fish for 30 years of my life some things I don't know that's why I do ask questions but as I stated before that's what this channel is about

Well, what a strange discussion, even by Fish Forum standards. :lol:

The trouble with a forum is it's made of people. (In that sense, it's like soylent green) Anytime you get a bunch of people together, you're going to have these issues. My completely unsolicited advice is, if the forum is so frustrating to you that you feel the need to post a straw-man, sarcastic, "I'm leaving but not really leaving" message...maybe you'd be happier somewhere else. But take that for whatever it's worth and do whatever you feel like you should do. I value a lot of you and I am starting to think of a few of you as friends, but the truth is I don't know any of you in the real world, there is no prize money at stake, and I'm not likely to get too shook up when your opinions run contrary to mine. Nobody every died of a few ruffled feathers.

I have, at times, expressed frustration with certain people on this forum for the "my way is the only possible way, and anybody who says different is wrong, wrong, wrong" approach, because I think that trying different things is good, within reason. But I find that attitude surprisingly uncommon. In fact, upon reflection, I've actually changed my mind on a few things I initially argued for on this forum. Debate is good. If, at the end of the debate, we still disagree, that's OK. No skin off my nose. If I can get over those ruffled feathers, I'll probably learn something.

Or to put it much more succinctly, as I used to tell the Badgerling when she was in kindergarten, "Some people are just like that. Don't let it ruin your day."

There's a lovely world in which to practice our lovely hobby, friends. Get out there and do something amazing today.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back