Thank you and good night

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Whoa.

Dude was being sarcastic.

He has a point. Some folks have a tendency to way overthink this hobby. While he (I assume he anyways...I'm old.school too) himself said he was even more extreme than I, I would agree with that statement. I wouldn't fill my tanks with the garden hose (at least not yet...haha....ya never know tho), but at the same time, there is something to be said for experience. You can read until your eyes pop out, and still not have a clue what you are doing. The only way to learn what works is by trial and error. This is experience. Plus, if a book told you jumping off a cliff without any safety equipment was.safe, would ya do it? I know, I know, extreme, but still, it's one of them things that someone else.did it, found out via experience, and the tale was shared that that wasn't a.good way to the bottom. But I'm sure some nutjob wrote a book about just how to do it and land on your feet.

There is book smart, and there is experience smart. Book smart changes with experience. Experience can change with book smart. It's information.exchange folks. If you try to tell someone something they have done or do.doesn't.work, yet they have done it and it worked, that is kinda goofy. There is no set in stone way to this hobby.

I agree with his observations.listed as well. That's some silly stuff. Everything listed is silly.

Bacteria not in the water. Yea...ok. Ever seen a bloom? Bacteria is.ever present in the water. People that believe the filter is the sole location need an.education.

Stunted fish....this is.silly. I've seen this. Yea.

Corys on sand. I have had them on all types of substrate and they dig through it no matter what. Never seen barbels get injured or rubbed off. Only disease took them on an albino I had a while back.

The whole whole list. It was sarcasm. The lurking part maybe serious, but yea. People on the fringes of a collective tend to get....bad attention. Instead of opposition, perhaps understanding that in this persons experience, a lot of what is expressed is overthinking the hobby. It is up to the end.user of the information to decide what they think best. I, too, am a fringe water keeper. A bit extreme myself. Telling me what you THINK is going to happen.vs what I KNOW will happen, is just plain silly. I took that risk and figured it out. If you're not a risk taker, that's cool with me. I'm not gonna get upset with ya. I will let ya know when you're.overthinking a little, but that's the extent of it. I may even challenge a.train.of thought. Debates are healthy. There shouldn't be any ill intent directed or.perceived. It's sharing ideas and experience. If it's not for you, it's.not for you. That is ok. Perhaps this situation was a bit much, but I have seen what is spoken of. Instead of profiting.from.anothers experience, passionate people try to.impose their ideas on another. This is not debating. There is no learning happening.

Just relax.

Whoa.

He has a point. Some folks have a tendency to way overthink this hobby. While he (I assume he anyways...I'm old.school too) himself said he was even more extreme than I, I would agree with that statement. I wouldn't fill my tanks with the garden hose (at least not yet...haha....ya never know tho), but at the same time, there is something to be said for experience. You can read until your eyes pop out, and still not have a clue what you are doing. The only way to learn what works is by trial and error. This is experience. Plus, if a book told you jumping off a cliff without any safety equipment was.safe, would ya do it? I know, I know, extreme, but still, it's one of them things that someone else.did it, found out via experience, and the tale was shared that that wasn't a.good way to the bottom. But I'm sure some nutjob wrote a book about just how to do it and land on your feet.

There is book smart, and there is experience smart. Book smart changes with experience. Experience can change with book smart. It's information.exchange folks. If you try to tell someone something they have done or do.doesn't.work, yet they have done it and it worked, that is kinda goofy. There is no set in stone way to this hobby.

I agree with his observations.listed as well. That's some silly stuff. Everything listed is silly.

Bacteria not in the water. Yea...ok. Ever seen a bloom? Bacteria is.ever present in the water. People that believe the filter is the sole location need an.education.

Corys on sand. I have had them on all types of substrate and they dig through it no matter what. Never seen barbels get injured or rubbed off. Only disease took them on an albino I had a while back.

The whole whole list. It was sarcasm. The lurking part maybe serious, but yea. People on the fringes of a collective tend to get....bad attention. Instead of opposition, perhaps understanding that in this persons experience, a lot of what is expressed is overthinking the hobby. It is up to the end.user of the information to decide what they think best. I, too, am a fringe water keeper. A bit extreme myself. Telling me what you THINK is going to happen.vs what I KNOW will happen, is just plain silly. I took that risk and figured it out. If you're not a risk taker, that's cool with me. I'm not gonna get upset with ya. I will let ya know when you're.overthinking a little, but that's the extent of it. I may even challenge a.train.of thought. Debates are healthy. There shouldn't be any ill intent directed or.perceived. It's sharing ideas and experience. If it's not for you, it's.not for you. That is ok. Perhaps this situation was a bit much, but I have seen what is spoken of. Instead of profiting.from.anothers experience, passionate people try to.impose their ideas on another. This is not debating. There is no learning happening.

Just relax.
Man, all of those periods made this hard to read.

When I have to do a lot of typing on the forums, I turn on my chromebook. Chromebooks are very light and fast and start up within seconds. Typing on an iphone is tedious.

Last edited:
Whoa.

Just relax.
Thank you for your support. Very well written. I have had a new member that wants to leave the hobby because of the some of the comments on this forum site. I am now trying to encourage them to keep at it through PM and away from the harsh criticism from some members. This forum needs to be careful if it is going to survive.

when I have to do a lot of typing on the forums, I turn on my chromebook. Chromebooks are very light and fast. Typing on an iphone is tedious.
I’m use to my phone. We have an IPad and laptop but I prefer my phone. :)

He's taking what people have said to an absurd level, hyperbole, to make us sound ridiculous. Worse, a lot of it is things he and I have debated over, and he's digging at me, while pretending to be civil.

I see you, @itiwhetu , and you're not subtle.
This morning alone, within an hour of making this post, you said;

People didn't say that cories would die on a gravel base, they said they couldn't practice their natural behaviours of filter feeding unless on a fine sand base, and that there's a higher risk, depending on the gravel type - of cories developing an infection by trying injuring their barbels on gravel while trying to dig for food. You know, practicing their natural behaviours. Not that they would die without sand. You're using hyperbole to mischaracterise what we said, and we see you doing it.

Less than an hour later, you claim it's great and you've learned a lot, and you never said anything bad about the forum...

And this was a direct dig at me for not leaving my cory eggs where they were laid as you demanded I do on my thread, since I didn't want them to be eaten by the adults. I followed the same methods laid out by Ian fuller, a recognised expert on corydoras, but that's not good enough for you, you insisted you had to say something "because I don't want others going down the same path. There are better ways to raise fry". I had to practically beg you to actually explain what way you actually thought was better, instead of just criticising me, and you admitted it wouldn't work in my tank, but have continued to make digs at me in at least two other threads about it.

Has it reached the point of harassment yet?

Hardly seems sincere, when the next list of "things I've learned" are completely mischaracterised, and you said the opposite less than an hour before making this thread...

First one, true. Glad you finally accepted that one.
Cycling - depends on the method, and still varies somewhat. The cycling threads go into a lot of detail, but there's fishless cycling, fish-in cycling, silent cycles, seeded cycles, planted cycles... different methods, different time frames, individual tank variability.

Who said the organs would blow out of their bodies?
I can't help but think this is yet another dig at me, since I mentioned stunting caused by fish in too small a tank yesterday, and you replied only to tell me I should have been kinder.

And no where did I say the organs would blow out of their bodies. That the fish would be stunted and organs not stunt, causing the fish to have a shortened lifespan, yes. But it doesn't swell up and pop like a cartoon, and no one said it did. More hyperbole to make us sound ridiculous. So passive aggressive!

It's spelled 'yolk'. A yoke is what they used to have oxen pull ploughs, back in the day.

Again, you said something different less than an hour before this, after saying it was unjustified that we were 'obsessed' that cories be on sand. If you want a fish to be able to practice a behaviour that comes naturally to them, the very way they feed - then yes, a fine sand substrate is the best for cories. But no ones said they would die on gravel, unless they damaged their barbels while digging into rough gravel to fetch food, and develop secondary infections.. a common problem for cories on gravel, just because you didn't experience it yourself doesn't make it invalid.

Yet another dig at me about my cory fry. If you'd paid attention to my thread instead of just screaming that we were all wrong, you'd realise that my fry are in a NET breeder box, so contained, but in 12.5 gallons of water, not a couple of litres. But again, I'm gonna trust Ian Fuller over you, I'm sorry that bothers you so much.

There are also different methods of raising fry for different species. I haven't seen anyone argue that that's only one way to raise all fry, except you.

Again, if you have some personal issue with me, or my advice, or how I raise my fish, I suggest you take it to pm and tell me straight, instead of this passive aggressive rubbish thrown at me in other threads - pretending to be okay while making digs elsewhere is petty and childish, and it seems I'm not the only one fed up with it.

[emphasis added]
Can hardly blame @kwi for thinking you were leaving when you also said this. When you talk out of both sides of your mouth, you don't get to complain when people get mixed messages.

Damn you should've been a P.I. @AdoraBelle Dearheart lol. Following a timeline like that, you could find Carmen Sandiego at Waldo's pool party no probs.

I have had a new member that wants to leave the hobby because of the some of the comments on this forum site. I am now trying to encourage them to keep at it through PM and away from the harsh criticism from some members. This forum needs to be careful if it is going to survive.

That is unfortunate, there is more open-mindedness around than not. I've had a blast on the forum and haven't been here long.

But I mean.. forum started in what, 2002*? There's a pretty solid group here, I don't really see it going anywhere as it has a wealth of information - from differing perspectives at that. I've been on a lot of forums over the years, even before chatrooms killed the forum star and social media killed the chatroom star. With the hobby being as niche as you can get, coupled with being a continuous learning process, I just don't see the forum going away anytime soon unless the whole hobby dies out.

But, not everything is for everyone - same goes with online communities. Sucks they got offended and all, but, I mean.. no one is twisting anyone's arm about taking their advisement >.>

*Edited to reflect start year (just found out from Fishmanics reply). Also, I just realized I'm not a new member anymore whaaaaaat

Last edited:
That is unfortunate, there is more open-mindedness around than not. I've had a blast on the forum and haven't been here long.

But I mean.. forum started in what, 2010? There's a pretty solid group here, I don't really see it going anywhere as it has a wealth of information - from differing perspectives at that. I've been on a lot of forums over the years, even before chatrooms killed the forum star and social media killed the chatroom star. With the hobby being as niche as you can get, coupled with being a continuous learning process, I just don't see the forum going away anytime soon unless the whole hobby dies out.

But, not everything is for everyone - same goes with online communities. Sucks they got offended and all, but, I mean.. no one is twisting anyone's arm about taking their advisement >.>
Love the pop culture reference, good one!

Think the most important part of getting involved in forums is just not taking stuff personally.

Communicating through text leaves a lot to be desired, sometimes just how we type stuff out sounds rude but really if we had been able to say it out loud, the tone would change the whole meaning and flow of the convo.

Your tank is your oyster - just hope your not allergic to shellfish! xD

I've been here since 2013 and have kept fish on and off since the mid 90s and learned a lot from this forum. My first advice I received was about my planned stocking which I followed and I'm glad I did. I learned about fishless cycling here before I restarted up my 25 year old 35 gallon tall hex tank. Now I give back to the forum with my knowledge gained here and I became a moderator about a year and a half ago. And I am still learning.

Now I help moderate and also run our 3 contests...Tank of the Month, Fish of the Month, and Pet of the Month contests. We have greatly increased participation in the contests and I hope to continue on that track.

Last edited:
Thank you for your support. Very well written. I have had a new member that wants to leave the hobby because of the some of the comments on this forum site. I am now trying to encourage them to keep at it through PM and away from the harsh criticism from some members. This forum needs to be careful if it is going to survive.
Way to ignore that you're the one leaving a sarcastic screed and sniping at others on a new members thread earlier that same day. Hardly a fountain of positivity and encouragement yourself, eh?

In fact, I remember recently someone asked about whether they could mix certain kinds of fish, and you just shouted "NO", and that was it. That was your whole comment. Then you chide me as rude for something else? LOL.

You've done nothing but moan and complain about the forum and what everyone else does since you got here. You're welcome to do that I suppose, but don't get on your high horse and claim superiority afterwards. Again, I haven't told you how to keep your fish, you're the one coming onto my threads and telling me and others that we're doing it wrong, with no evidence to back it up.

We see you, you're not subtle.

Time for a fact:
From what I gather, this forum has been around since around January of 2002...over 18 years. Members come and go but many have stayed as they find value here. My guess is this site will still be around for the next 20 years and onward. This hobby is still growing and people seek sound advice via fish forums.

All we ask is that members respect fellow members and help others with knowledge that they have learned here and elsewhere.

@dascrow @Chad

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Back