Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Tff Competitions - Which Do You Enter?

Discussion in 'Board Announcements & Suggestions' started by Ludwig Venter, Nov 13, 2010.

?

If it is no.... leave out the vote.

1. I will enter for the TOTM competition

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  2. I will vote in the TOTM competition

21 vote(s)
    84.0%
  3. I will enter in the FOTM Competition

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
  4. I will vote in the FOTM competition

18 vote(s)
    72.0%
  5. I will enter in the POTM Competition

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  6. I will vote in the POTM Competition

16 vote(s)
    64.0%
  7. All competitions are a waste of time

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  8. TOTM competition is a waste of time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. FOTM competition is a waste of time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. POTM is a waste of time

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  11. Pets' caption competition is a waste of time

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  12. I will only participate in any comp if I'm compensated

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  13. I will enter the Pets caption competition

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  14. I will vote in the Pets caption competition

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  15. Adequate recognition is given in all competitions

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ludwig Venter

Ludwig Venter Retired Moderator
    Retired Moderator

We are currently running a number of competitions here on TFF and some of them are better supported by our members than the others. Which of those do you think should continue and which do you think is a waste of time??

They are:

• 1. Tank of the month
      2. Fish of the month
      3. Pet of the month
      4. Pet fun competition- put a caption to the pic.
      5. Pet of the year.
      6. Fish of the year.
      7. Tank of the year.

It is noted, that some of them (like the caption competition) are well supported for entries, but when it gets to voting.... very few responses.

In order to help us to decide what you would prefer, please vote for the options above which you feel mostly conforms to your opinion about TFF competitions..... You can vote for a multiple of options, but if your answer is "No".... leave that option open.

2. Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator

And of course.... your verbal (written) feedback is also appreciated.

3. star4

star4 Member

This might just be me personally, but if the POTM was moved to the monthly competitions section it would be easier to find. My problem with voting is the voting dates for each competition is different and I forget when to vote. I think the competitions are a great bit of fun. I would be sad to see them go. The annual competition is a good idea too :good:

4. Carlovel1

Carlovel1 & Oddballs

I also think the POTM is too hidden, I've been on this forum for a few months but I only discovered the POTM quite recently

5. seffieuk

seffieuk I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!

Think that is a very good point Star, it would make sense that they all start and end at the same time, would then be a good reminder to look at them all :good: and vote - I must admit, I do sometimes miss the vote as I forget to check :crazy:

Seffie x

6. RustedKnight

RustedKnight Member

Ok, as said above, all the competitions need to start and end on the same date.

Pet of the month
    Fish of the month
    Tank of the month

are all great, they need more entries and voters though.

-=-=-=-

I don't know how you currently do the "of the year" competitions, but I presume you take the winning entries from the past 12 months "of the month" competitions and allow people to vote for which one they prefer??

The caption comp is also a bit of fun.

I just think all these competitions need more entrants and voters. A bit of competition is always healthy :D

7. ZoddyZod

ZoddyZod Constantly learning
    Retired Moderator

I think the comps need a bit more traffic so maybe some hotlinks on the front page? I would imagine only the regulars who have been here considerable time know about them. Also, could be quite an advert for the forum generally.

POTM should maybe be kept a bit more isolated though as to be fair it does fit more into the 'general' topics area of the forum....let's focus on the fish.

8. Dan-CR4

Dan-CR4 Member

Although at this moment I have not entered TOTM or FOTM I would like to in the future once I think mine are upto standard, but I do enjoy voting on them.

9. RustedKnight

RustedKnight Member

Good man :good:

10. elisew

elisew I don`t count sheep to get to sleep, I count fish

Ditto!! :good:

I love the comps but do agree with the comments about them all running at the same time, also that they need to be more obvious to people B-)

11. Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator

Basically, it is only the POTM that runs behind schedule, so in order for me to make it "Catch up" to the rest of them..... I'll have to either skip a month, or have 2 comps running in the same month..... I'll have a look into it to have all comps starting with "new entries" at/or around the 13th of the month (for the next months'competition).... Voting starting on the 14th of the month (for the current month) and winners announced on the last day of each month..... that'll just make it a heavy schedule for myself, but... hey!!!... if it is to please the members..... Why not!. (after all.... we're here to serve)

12. RustedKnight

RustedKnight Member

Well if you ever need help setting it up or whatever, feel free to PM me and i'll see what I can do.

13. Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator

Well... few ppl realize (appreciates) what actually goes into it.... for each and every one of the comps.... to end off the one, and start the next, I have to (individually) move over the entrants to a new thread for the voting poll (and those who added their photos as attachments), I have to save them to my pics on my PC... then upload them to Photobucket and then transfer them from there to the voting poll as IMG files... each with reference to the poster and pet name etc.... Read all of the threads in Household pets to ensure that all nominated and seconded posts have been moved to "nominations" for that month, Then I have to close the entries into the current entries and open the new entry thread..... Make a new thread to announce the winner.... place the new winner into the archived thread for winners of the specific catagory.... start a new thread for the next month's entries..... design the winners' emblem and notify admin to post it.... (which I'm still having problems with - lack of computer skills)..... Lock the current month's entries and voting polls..... and that is for each of the currently running competitions.

So yea!!!... wanna know if I keep busy.... (inbetween) comes the periodic reminders when I notice either voting and/or entries are not progressing to expectations..... see what a big favour you're doing me if this is done spontaneously...... I need at least 8 to 10 entries per month per catragory to keep it worth my while..... So Rusted..... if you feel to contribute..... I'll appreciate your vote, and/or your entry into any one of our competitions.... It makes it worth my effort.

14. RustedKnight

RustedKnight Member

Hehe, I already fully new the difficulties of forum competitions, and what they entail. Hence my offer of help :)

And i entered and voted on novembers FOTM, TOTM and Caption competition. And shall be doing so again this month, and every month until I win something haha. At which point i'll need to get a new fish, or redesign my tank, and start it all again.

I love some competition.

15. Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator

A model member..... I appreciate.... keep it up and inspire the rest! :good: