Tetras Or Pygmy Corydoras?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Georgia_ofthejungle

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Plans have changed, at first I was going to be getting a 60L tank, but I have been offered a good price for a 40L (10.5 g) and the full set up, and so I have decided to get that instead.
I am definitely getting a crowntail Betta, but I really want another kind if fish in my tank.
I am deciding between 6 Pygmy corydoras or 6 ember tetras, so I am wanting to know which I would be best to get.
Which is best and will be happiest, or should I not be considering any other fish apart from my Betta?

^ true.. i would also go with the pygmy cory group as they stay on the bottom and thus away from the line of sight (at least most of the time) of the betta.

I would personally get 6 pygmys.

You need to have a back up plan in case your betta doesn't like the pygmys, a bowl or a quarantine tank to separate the betta into if he decides he doesn't want to share his tank. 
Add your betta last, so he's entering their "territory" instead of the other way round.

Make sure to cycle the tank ;)

Thanks for the help guys :) Yes I do have another tank that Mr. Betta could move into if he decides not to behave :p
An fully noted about getting corys first :)

Tongue_Flicker said:
^ true.. i would also go with the pygmy cory group as they stay on the bottom and thus away from the line of sight (at least most of the time) of the betta.
This is not true of the active Pygmy Cory. They are active little guys who frequently occupy all levels of the tank. Usually the larger Cory species rest on the bottom, but the smaller species tend to forget they are supposed to be substrate dwellers.

Another thing to consider is that betta fish stress easily. Having a group of quick swimmers could ely stress the average betta into illness. Aggression is not always the issue with betta fish. Personally, I would keep no one else in a ten gallon. Bettas are much happier in their own private homes.

I've kept ember tetra with 2 different betta in the past. No issues at all. I love ember tetra, really nice for a smaller tank & they colour up lovely once you've had them & fed them up on decent food for a while.

attibones said:
This is not true of the active Pygmy Cory. They are active little guys who frequently occupy all levels of the tank. Usually the larger Cory species rest on the bottom, but the smaller species tend to forget they are supposed to be substrate dwellers.
Another thing to consider is that betta fish stress easily. Having a group of quick swimmers could ely stress the average betta into illness. Aggression is not always the issue with betta fish. Personally, I would keep no one else in a ten gallon. Bettas are much happier in their own private homes.
I meant to say true to the bettas being tricky part :)

I'm really just out to have a fish tank with lots of happy fish, so if that means a Betta on their own, I will do that :) Thanks for the help everyone!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back