FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

tetraboy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
we just got 20 delivered at work an i thought id way up the pros and cons

pro's :D

the tank is 60x30x30 so is not to small unlike the nemo tanks
it comes with a florecent strip light an internal filter and heater and for only £69.99
that quite a good priced tank
for people like me who are not interested in the film the tank is still good because you do not have to add the sticker decoration or background
the tanks will encourage new young fish keepers into the hobby

con's :angry:

it may confuse people into thinking the tank is ok for sea fish aka marine
it may encourage people who are not taking care of there pets to buy one
lastly considering its a sharkstale tank the kids dont get much in the wys of orniments its just a piece of flat plastic to go inside the tank

anyone got anything to add or want to make comment fell free

and feel free to disagree
:p wow im a poet and i now noet :p

These kind of tanks shouldnt be allowed. Its because of them that many fish are mistreated. One of my LFS has stopped stocking the nemo tanks because people kept asking about keeping clown fish in them etc.

Any product that encourages the public to think fishkeeping is easy, and that you can fit a balashark in a 5 gallon tank.... needs removing from the market..

Ben

There are marine tanks that are quite small, so I don't see this as a "con" so long as people put marine (or freshwater) fish that are appropriate for the size. Not all marine life needs to be in large tanks.

This can be a "con" for any and all "easy to set up" or all-inclusive setups. And frankly, I think the bottom line is that if a person is not going to care for their fish, it doesn't matter what the tank looks like, Shark Tale, Nemo, or anything else.

It would be easier for us to judge the tank with a link or some pictures. It doesn't seem to me from your list that this is by itself a bad tank at all.

\Dan

There are marine tanks that are quite small, so I don't see this as a "con" so long as people put marine (or freshwater) fish that are appropriate for the size. Not all marine life needs to be in large tanks.

What you a referring to is a Nano-Reef. This is a discription used for a marine tank under 40g. These types of tanks are for experienced marine keepers only due to the fact that the smaller a marine tank is the harder it is to keep. Nothing smaller than 40g should be advertised as a marine tank IMO to avoid people getting any other ideas.

Also, marine fishkeeping is very expensive and too many people start it without thinking and end up killing everything in the tank due to not having the money to maintain the tank/fish/inverts.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree that nano-reefs are not for beginning fish keepers, but I don't think the tank is being advertised/marketed as such (again, since I haven't seen it, I can't be sure), so I still stand by what I said. I do not count this as "con" or a mark against the tank. Personally I think the market segment this type of tank is marketed to is not going to know the difference between a marine vs freshwater setup. They are just going to want the tank because it is "cool" or cute. It seems to me that it is the original poster's idea that the tank, being shark-themed, would imply it is for a marine setup. I don't see this as being the case.

\Dan

well I havent seen sharks tale but I watched Nemo with the 2 yr old that I babysit the other night. Nemo seemed to have a sort of "anti-fishkeeping" message so I'm suprised that they even make a tank ... well I suppose it is Disney ... the corporate gods must be fed... anyway.

Oh and the 4 yr old I keep has a tangerine colored veil tail betta in a .5 gal bowl. He calls it nemo and INSISTS that it is in fact a clown fish. I keep mentioning to his mother ..." ya know a 2 gallon with a filter would be soooo much easier to take care of... I could help you set it up".... hint has not been taken though.

"Fish are friends...not food" hee hee :p

tetraboy said:
we just got 20 delivered at work an i thought id way up the pros and cons

pro's :D

the tank is 60x30x30 so is not to small unlike the nemo tanks
it comes with a florecent strip light an internal filter and heater and for only £69.99
that quite a good priced tank
for people like me who are not interested in the film the tank is still good because you do not have to add the sticker decoration or background
the tanks will encourage new young fish keepers into the hobby

con's :angry:

lastly considering its a sharkstale tank the kids dont get much in the wys of orniments its just a piece of flat plastic to go inside the tank

anyone got anything to add or want to make comment fell free

and feel free to disagree
:p wow im a poet and i now noet :p
oh i saw that one on my LFS about 2 week ago i dint like it tho

can't say i'ved seen or even heard of these tanks before, so some pictures may be useful here???

I think it is pretty crap how some people advertise and misinform people, there's still people asking for clown fish at LFS's even if they don't stock marine as the potential buyers don't have a clue.

I don't think people should go out and buy a pet just on the ftrength of a film. I think it's an irresposible way to go about these things. I don't have a major problem with novelty tanks as long as they are suitable (unlike the spongebob betta cup for instance).

It's not soething I would do, I am not that tacky and tastless (;)) but I can see the appeal.

haven't seen these yet. but i'm sure theyre like the spongebob and fairly oddparents ones i've seen. misleading. but so are all the "packaged" tanks out there, showing 10 fish in a 2.5 gal etc. its all about the almighty dollar

anyone have a link to a pic of one of these? just curious what they look like/come with.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back