Tetras for 5 gallon tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FoxChase

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm considering getting 4 different neon varieties, 4 of each (Green, Green Fire, Cochu's Blue and Cardinal). Do you think they would school eventually? Have a planted 5 gal Marineland Portrait tank.

I'm considering getting 4 different neon varieties, 4 of each (Green, Green Fire, Cochu's Blue and Cardinal). Do you think they would school eventually? Have a planted 5 gal Marineland Portrait tank.
Most probably, most small Tetras will school up with whatever is around. My Black Phantoms school up with the White clouds. These little fish generally hang out with any other little fish.

Thanks, didn't want little fishy gang wars😁
Most probably, most small Tetras will school up with whatever is around. My Black Phantoms school up with the White clouds. These little fish generally hang out with any other little fish.
my harlequin rasboras think they are guppies, and vice versa

I was really concerned bout getting such small amounts of each. Everything I've read said they need large numbers to thrive. Happy they'll be good together!!

I was really concerned bout getting such small amounts of each. Everything I've read said they need large numbers to thrive. Happy they'll be good together!!
You have 12 fish, which are all basically the same make up. They will be great together.

That was my hope. Hoping to add a half moon betta later after plants are growing well.

Don't mix different varieties of tetra. Either keep a group of neons, or a group of cardinals, or a group of green neons.

The Cochu's Blue tetra is not a variety of neon but is a bigger light blue tetra that does best in groups of 10 or more of its own kind. These fish either come in good, or all die within a few days of being brought into the country. If you find them in the shop tank, ask how long they have been there for and if they have lost any at all. If they have had them for several weeks with no losses, then buy a big group of them and put them in a well established tank with lots of plants.

Thanks for the info. I've heard rarer varieties are more delicate. Will cross the Cochu's off my list.
Have you done any business with Arizona Aquatic Gardens? They have everything I want. Was thinking of ordering from them in late spring.

Have you done any business with Arizona Aquatic Gardens? They have everything I want. Was thinking of ordering from them in late spring.
Skip. There's a lot of bad reviews.

Suggestions?
Also have you bought from Canton Aquatic in Canton TX?
Wondering if they're closing up - lots of out of stock
I haven't ordered stuff from Canton Aquatics. I mainly buy my fish from my LFS, but I have ordered fish online before. Dan's Fish is a good place to buy fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back