Tetras for 12 gallon tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Nicola Main

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 56 litre (12 gallon) tank and after definitely deciding I would like a small school of pygmy corys as bottom dwellers I would like advice on which would be the best tetras for my main shoal. I have been thinking Black Neon Tetras with some Neons or Flames? I obviously don't want to jump into the deep end (excuse the sort of pun!) and get too many too soon! This is my first time keeping 'proper fish' rather than goldfish when I was a child so any advice is appreciated! I would like to get the corys in first to settle them in but I read somewhere it's best to put schooling species in first? I have another thread up in the newbie section called 'Starting up a Freshwater Tank and need advice' too :)

This is going to be a bit difficult for you and us...this topic is included in the older thread and several members have posted. Most will not want to repeat what they already said, but this is important because some issues were mentioned and discussed and other members need to know what was said in order to move forward. If this makes sense...

Which fish go in first doesn't matter as much here as it would if you were contemplating fish that might be territorial or aggressive. Here we have a small tank which will have small-sized fish. It is however important to add the entire group together, for that species. They will always settle in faster with less stress so less risk of ich.

Ember Tetra would be good here. Flame Tetra get too large for this tank. Neon tetra and black neon tetra are really in need of a larger space, though one of these might work. But smaller "nano" type fish will work better and provide more options. Ember Tetra, or one of the Boraras species of dwarf rasbora. [The water is very soft, we already worked that out.]

Could you please send me a link to the other post please Byron? Just looked at Ember Tetra and they are beautiful wee fish.

This is your older thread:
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/starting-up-a-freshwater-tank-and-need-advice.451117/

Yes...this tank could hold a group of 9-10 of the cories (if one of the dwarf species), a group of 9-12 Ember Tetras, and then...for the surface area, a group of 7 rocket pencilfish (Nannostomus eques) perhaps? These swim at an oblique angle, remain at or very near the surface among floating plants and sticks, and are very sedate (don't swim much, just slowly cruise).

Thank you so much! I was told the Sparkling Gourami was also a good fish for a nano set up :)

Yes, this is another option. This gourami is best in a small group of five and that would work. Forget the pencilfish I mentioned previously if this species is selected as this gourami is an upper level fish that spends most of its time at or near the surface. Needs floating plants too, Water Sprite is ideal. Getting a group should mean a mix of male/female (difficult to discern in small fish as in the store) and that will provide some nice displays from the male along with their "clicking" sounds.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back