Tetraodon Nigroviridis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fliplm0de

Reaction score
Hey, I just recently acquired a GSP(Tetraodon nigroviridis), I was wondering how come it doesn't eat. I've placed about 3 ghost shrimp in his tank hopefully, he'll find it but he doesn't seem too agressive towards them, I've also placed Freeze Drive Brine Shrimp infront of his face and he'll attack it and eat it but it seems as if he spits it out, is that normal or what? What food would you recommend? Thanks! :D

For my puffer, who is a little awkward with his appetite, I manage to feed him on high protein goldfish pellets and bloodworm, as well as snails.

Good luck with your GSP!

If you have only just got it, it may well just be getting used to its new surroundings.
I would maybe remove any uneaten food in the tank and then give it 24 hours then give it some live blood worm.
Also (this is not meant to offend or assume you dont know the basics) but have you checked water parameters? What SG is the water at? What was the SG of the water he came from?
Depending on its size you should be looking at raising the SG up to about 1.006 over the corse of the day, this could help.

Use extreme caution when adding salt and insure its marine salt not aquaium tonic salt. (Again sorry if this offends and i maybe pointing out the obvious, but not everyone knows the requirements).

Dan

Puffers and other predators are often finicky eaters. I tried all the below but my 3 F8s would only eat frozen blood worms and snails.

1) Freeze dried bloodworms
2) New world spectrum pellets
3) Flakes
4) Freeze dried Daphia
5) Floating sticks
6) Fresh chopped up squids
7) Fresh chopped up shrimps

Only one of them would even bother hunting ghost shrimps. So, if the water parameters of your tank is fine, it may be just the puffer doesn't like the food your offered :)

One word of caution though. If the skin of your GSP starts to turn dark or it spends unusual amount of time resting at the bottom of the tank with it's tail curled, it is a sign of stress. These are the symptoms I saw before I lost a DP and a F8.

I'm convinced my GSP's favorite food is mysis shrimp.

They always like:

Bloodworms
Dried whole Krill, they won't eat frozen chopped
Brine shirmp
Raw people shrimp
Crickets
Snails

They won't eat squid and one likes scallops but the other doesn't.

:drool:

I almost bought some dried whole krill the other day. Since I'm running out of snails, I think the shell of the dried krill may give my puffers some "teeth exercise" before my snail population can recover. However, not having good results with any kind of dried food, I hesitated. Now that I know your GSP will eat them, I'm going to give my F8s a try. :nod:

My GSP eats anything even peas!!?? :blink:

Try soaking the food in garlic first... fish love it and it wards off parasites and pathogens. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back