Tetra whisper 60 filter motor spinning but not pumping water

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bianca_m35

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi! I have a tetra whisper 60 specifically this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/363328274001

The motor is spinning just fine. But it will not suck water up. I've primed it. Poured water directly into the tube. Check to see if it was dirty in the inside or clogged anywhere. I cannot get it to suck the water up. It's doing everything right like how it normally doesbut will not go. The water just will not go up the tube. Just ordered new parts a few months ago and it's been perfect. I unplugged it for a day and now it's not suck the water up.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi! I have a tetra whisper 60 specifically this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/363328274001

The motor is spinning just fine. But it will not suck water up. I've primed it. Poured water directly into the tube. Check to see if it was dirty in the inside or clogged anywhere. I cannot get it to suck the water up. It's doing everything right like how it normally doesbut will not go. The water just will not go up the tube. Just ordered new parts a few months ago and it's been perfect. I unplugged it for a day and now it's not suck the water up.
Is the impeller in good shape?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Check the impellor.

Turn the filter off at the power point and then disconnect the motor from the case (if you can).
Take the impellor out and hold the magnet with one hand and see if you can turn the plastic blades with the other hand. The plastic blades should go around about half way and then stop. If the plastic blades can go round and round continuously while you are holding the magnet, then the impellor is broken and needs replacing.

You can sometimes use superglue to glue the plastic blades onto the impellor magnet, and give it 10 minutes to dry before trying it in the filter.

Did you fill up the filter with water?

Is your tank water level too low?

Is the intake tube connected properly to the filter and sits properly above the motor/impeller?

Hope you have the answer from the previous responses, Lajos.
Whatever, I'm grateful you posted the problem as I was looking at the Tetra model myself for a new tank.
I haven't made my mind up right now though. I just sort of dislike the bulk of hang on the back filters.
I want my tanks to look really good and to hang an ugly piece of plastic on the back takes away the impression of beauty.
Could you take a sideways picture to show me how it looks on your tank? ie, the tank viewed from the side that shows the actual width of the tank + filter.

Whatever, I'm grateful you posted the problem as I was looking at the Tetra model myself for a new tank.
I haven't made my mind up right now though. I just sort of dislike the bulk of hang on the back filters.
I want my tanks to look really good and to hang an ugly piece of plastic on the back takes away the impression of beauty.
Could you take a sideways picture to show me how it looks on your tank? ie, the tank viewed from the side that shows the actual width of the tank + filter.
I'd rather have an HOB, than equipment inside the tank...that real estate is reserved for my fish, plants, and deco

The Tetra HOB's aren't the best, give me an AquaClear over them any day....

For the OP, agree with the others here....there's a problem with the impeller

I only have 18 running Aquaclears down from the peak at close to 30. I have all the sizes they offer. I load almost all of them with two foams and a layer of floss in between. Over the past 10 years I have been migrating to Poret foam/ I now have a lot of cubefilters and a few Hamburg Mattenfilters using this foam. But I have also been using the 20 ppi foam in my Aquaclears as their sponges degrade and need replacing.

The beauty of the ACs is they share a lot of parts between sizes.
Aquaclear 20, 30, 50, 70 Shaft
Aquaclear 20, 30, 50, 70 Motor

The 110 has it's own parts unfortunately. All models have their own impeller. But I have motors, impellers. shafts, uplift and U-tubes for the 20,30,50 and 70 on the shelf. I also have an impeller and shaft for the 20s as I use 3 of these on smaller tanks.

I used an EMperor 400 on my first tanks and when it broked the new model was awful, imo, and I sent it back and got another AC instead. The only other hang-on I like is the Eheim Liberty. But I cannot find them in bigger sizes so I only own 1 which is their equivalent to the AC 50.

I will admit I do own and use a Tetra Mini on a 5.5 gal. well planted tank. It is more of a water mover than a filter though, I got 2 of them used for about $15 total years back, I resold one and use the other.

I only have 18 running Aquaclears down from the peak at close to 30. I have all the sizes they offer. I load almost all of them with two foams and a layer of floss in between. Over the past 10 years I have been migrating to Poret foam/ I now have a lot of cubefilters and a few Hamburg Mattenfilters using this foam. But I have also been using the 20 ppi foam in my Aquaclears as their sponges degrade and need replacing.

The beauty of the ACs is they share a lot of parts between sizes.
Aquaclear 20, 30, 50, 70 Shaft
Aquaclear 20, 30, 50, 70 Motor

The 110 has it's own parts unfortunately. All models have their own impeller. But I have motors, impellers. shafts, uplift and U-tubes for the 20,30,50 and 70 on the shelf. I also have an impeller and shaft for the 20s as I use 3 of these on smaller tanks.

I used an EMperor 400 on my first tanks and when it broked the new model was awful, imo, and I sent it back and got another AC instead. The only other hang-on I like is the Eheim Liberty. But I cannot find them in bigger sizes so I only own 1 which is their equivalent to the AC 50.

I will admit I do own and use a Tetra Mini on a 5.5 gal. well planted tank. It is more of a water mover than a filter though, I got 2 of them used for about $15 total years back, I resold one and use the other.
They also share impellers, as well....except for the 110

You can use an AC50 or AC30 in an AC70, to "soften" the flow.....

Hey I'm sorry I just saw this I can take a picture still of you'd like!!

Sure, post a pic...is it still not working correctly?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back