Tetra Troubles

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Waterloo Kid

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've had a few Neon Tetra die on me recently. At first the fish looks like it's mouth is stuck open. The fish goes pale but stays alive for a few weeks. Eventually it dies. At no time are any other symptoms shown.
Anybody seen this before? Is it a case of the mouth mechanism jamming or is there a disease behind it? If it is jamming then can it be reset with a little help from me?

WK

Sorry that I can't offer any advice myself but was wondering if you found anything out about this condiotion from elsewhere, as I have notice for the last couple of days that one of my cardinal tetras also appears to have its jaw locked open?!

Nope, nothing as of yet. Been fighting a case of whitespot and an unidentified problem with a ram. Everything was quiet for a few months and then......BOOM, all hell breaks loose!

WK

Grab the tetra and force its mouth shut. With a hammer.

Just kidding. :lol: That's really wierd. I mean, you can try gently forcing it's mouth shut. Give it a try.

Hmmm...weird..I would have thought something was stuck in it's mouth, or the bottom jaw got dislocated somehow, but if it's happened to more than one fish I would say it's probably a disease of some sort, possibly tumours? Tumour could be blocking the passage of food, hence the poor little things are slowly starving. Have you noticed that they been able to eat or not? Wish I could be of more help.

I have a cardinal that I brought home with a dislocated jaw (possibly genetic deformity), I call him Jaws, and has had no problems and I've had him for about 4 years now. His method of feeding is a little unusual, and just swims head first into food sucking it in like a vacuum as he goes along. He looks creepy and evil, but gotta love the little guy :wub:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back