Tetra Tabimin

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

aquarist_in_china

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I was feeding my fish pygmy corydoras on tiny generic sinking pellets, which I didn't trust and think led to a little oil on the water surface. I bought some tetra tabimin on advice here, and have a little problem I'd like advice with. I fed the neon tetras and betta on flake first, then dropped in a tabimin and left it for the corydoras, thinking they'd huddle around it. a little while later it was gone, and the tetras have massive, distended stomachs! How much can I break up/ grind up the tabimin? it seems like I need to do that to help keep it away from them. I've got bettamin for the betta and tetramin for the tetras, and can kind of feed separately apart from this problem. if I fix this, then they will all be getting a great diet.

You can grind it almost to a fine powder, the corys will sift through the substrate to find it

don't feed the tetras when you are going to feed the cories, mine do the same thing when i feed the shrimp.
what you can do is get a turkey baster put the pellets in there with water, allow it to soften so that it sink fast, then place the food on the bottom of the tank.
then feed the tetras.

if the tetras are nice and fat don't feed for a few days to limit any health issues that might come.

grinding it to powder won't make it float or pollute the water? great, then that'll fix it! My tank is quite heavily planted, and I put the pellet in the back corner. They didn't see it go in, but can obviously sniff it out. I thought feeding the betta and tetras first woud make them disinterested, but maybe you're right that I should feed the cories first and then do a reduced feed for the others. I could also combine grinding the food with going back to feeding the cories at night, which I also think would help.

Here's the plan: grind the tabimin up, add it when I go to bed, and see if I have fatty tetras/betta when I wake up. If not, feed the tetras and betta their own food. If so, maybe need to alternate feedings so they're all getting the appropriate food sometimes. or ask for more ideas on here! thanks for the help.

It won't pollute the water, it sinks very quickly, I use it ground up for my fry

Great, thanks. I did a water change just now just in case it was needed, and will give the ground stuff a little try tonight. The tetras and betta can have a fast day, but I don't know how much the pygmys ate. They're a bit small to go without food for long. I'll do more small water changes in the next few days cos I'm off work, so it'll be okay.

Most reactions

Back