FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

H0pefulDad

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey I just put the rest of the bottle of Tetra SafeStart I got a few days ago in my tank, the bottled bacteria I had before might've been dead and I heard good things about this brand. Anyways the main difference between this bacteria and the other brands I've used is that when I put it in, it looked like a bunch of dust in the water, is that normal? Good or bad?
(Also quick unrelated question if anyone's feeling kind, is it normal in cycling for the nitrites to go up before the ammonia goes down? I know that definitely shouldn't be how it works, but that's what my testing kit is showing me.)

Yes its normal for the nitrates to start going up before the ammonia goes completely away

JuiceBox52 is correct. The nitrites feed on the ammonia and will go up as the ammonia goes down. It takes a bit. It may take some time now but the nitrites will climb and eventually nitrates will show up. They feed off the nitrite. You’ll see them go up and nitrites go down next. This is the longest part to wait for. Be patient. :)

JuiceBox52 is correct. The nitrites feed on the ammonia and will go up as the ammonia goes down. It takes a bit. It may take some time now but the nitrites will climb and eventually nitrates will show up. They feed off the nitrite. You’ll see them go up and nitrites go down next. This is the longest part to wait for. Be patient. :)

Thank you for the assurance. I've just been frustrated because the bacteria I used previously didn't work, and I thought my tank would be cycled by now. I'm not completely sure since my testing kit is one that uses colors, but I think the nitrites reading looked a bit more purple than it usually does, so hopefully that means these new bacteria are working.

It sounds like you’re moving right along. Cycling a tank the first time is nerve racking but you’re doing a great job. :)

What happens during cycling is that you add ammonia. This is food for the ammonia eating bacteria so because there is lots of food for them they begin to multiply. The ammonia eaters take in ammonia and they turn it into nitrite. They poop nitrite, if bacteria can be said to poop.
Each 1 ppm ammonia that the bacteria 'eat' is turned into 2.7 ppm nitrite (I can explain why if you like ;) ). It only takes a tiny drop in ammonia for nitrite to start going up quite fast.

The nitrite eating bacteria can't start to multiply until there is food for them so they always lag behind the ammonia eaters. And the nitrite eaters don't multiply as fast as the ammonia eaters so it takes longer to grow enough nitrite eaters.
The nitrite eaters 'poop' nitrate, so once their numbers start to increase, nitrate goes up.

Each 1 ppm ammonia that the bacteria 'eat' is turned into 2.7 ppm nitrite (I can explain why if you like ;) ).
Since the lady is a chemist make sure you have plenty of time ;)
It is worth mentioning that the nitrate test measure both nitrite and nitrate. The nitrite test only measures nitrite. So there is little point in testing for nitrates until the nitrites drop.

What happens during cycling is that you add ammonia. This is food for the ammonia eating bacteria so because there is lots of food for them they begin to multiply. The ammonia eaters take in ammonia and they turn it into nitrite. They poop nitrite, if bacteria can be said to poop.
Each 1 ppm ammonia that the bacteria 'eat' is turned into 2.7 ppm nitrite (I can explain why if you like ;) ). It only takes a tiny drop in ammonia for nitrite to start going up quite fast.

The nitrite eating bacteria can't start to multiply until there is food for them so they always lag behind the ammonia eaters. And the nitrite eaters don't multiply as fast as the ammonia eaters so it takes longer to grow enough nitrite eaters.
The nitrite eaters 'poop' nitrate, so once their numbers start to increase, nitrate goes up.

My dude. My guy. I know all of that. Do you really think I'd be trying to cycle without already knowing exactly what's happening? I didn't mean to come off as dumb, I swear my only issue here is that this is all going much slower than I anticipated.

Since the lady is a chemist make sure you have plenty of time ;)
It is worth mentioning that the nitrate test measure both nitrite and nitrate. The nitrite test only measures nitrite. So there is little point in testing for nitrates until the nitrites drop.

I know that also, which is why I haven't tested for nitrates in a while.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back