Tetra Safestart

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

New-FishBoy

Reaction score
Hey, I was recently talked into a fish-in cycle by a fish store employee. I'm worried about the health of my fish (and of course would be happy with a faster cycling period) and was looking at instant cycling bacteria products. After reading a lot on this forum and other forums, I was wary of these "magic products." However, a lot of people had good things to say about Tetra SafeStart. I was wondering whether using a treatment for 100g of the SafeStart in my 55 gallon tank (a lot of reviews said to double the dosage) with 6 zebra danios and 5 platies would benefit and speed up the cycling process.

http://theaquariumwiki.com/Bacteria_bottles,_do_they_work%3F

People keep posting links to this... And the article implies that Tetra Safestart does actually boost the bacteria in your tank so you can add fish right away. And yet, if you ask about bacteria in a bottle, people are quick to say "snake oil!". The two pieces of information seem to conflict...

It didn't work for me personall when I started out, but saying that it can't hurt. You can try it and see but it's an expensive waste if like me, it seems to do very little.

If you know someone with an established aquarium then get hold if some of their filter media. That is the only foolproof way to get the bacteria established instantly.

Regardless of what you do with the bacteria in a bottle, be sure to study the articles carefully about being in a Fish-In Cycling Situation (that is what you'll be in, possibly for quite a while.) It can be quite hard work when done right but doing it right can help your fish come out with less gill and nerve damage and longer lives. Water changes are your friend. WD

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back