Tetra problems

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lenny6582

Reaction score
Got my first ever fish the other day for my new tank (which took 2 weeks to get the water to the correct PH levels), so was well pleased when I got my 3 neon tetras and 3 zebra tetras. Was this the first mistake? May sound silly, but should you buy them in even numbers? One of the neon tetras is slightly 'fainter' in terms of colour compared to the other two neons. This fish is getting chased round the tank by one of the other neons :no: . The third neon, which sometimes gets a little bit chased by the 'violent' neon has a very large, what i assume is a, belly? A) Any ideas why I have a 'violent mental' tetra? B) Could the fat one be pregenant? C) Should I buy three more neons to have an even number?

Thanks for your help

Richard

:)

Hey,
tetras are really I think more of a shoaling fish - 7 makes a proper shoal, I think you will find they will be happier with a larger number of their own kind, and as rule of thumb the more there are of one type the less likely they are to pick on another type of fish, but that isnt definate.
female tetras have a bigger rounder stomach and males are slim line.
she may also be pregant I wouldnt be able to tell.
we bought 6 of a kind when we got our tetras, we have 6 glowlight tetras and 6 black neons, they all get along fine and look great when they all swim in unison, they get along with our other tank inhabitants too .
have a look at this site and see if it helps u somewhat :)

Tetras :)

GoodLuck!

:thumbs:

Starry^

I agree with Starry^. Tetras should be in shoals of 6 or more. They would be much happier in a bigger group. The loss of colour in the one neon could be because of stress from being picked on. The fat one could have eggs(they are egg layers), but keep an eye on it b/c it could be something fatal :unsure: . As for the aggressive one, well it's probably trying to keep everyone in order. I suggest getting at least 3 more if your tank size allows it. By the way, what size is your tank? HTH

Gabe

To see neons/cardinals at their best you need to have a shoal. I have 20 in my tank (obviously tank size does matter) they look really stunning when they all turn together. With regards to a fat belly, that maybe due to a bacterial infection in the gut or maybe pregnant or the beginnings of neon tetra disease. With these fish, they are delicate and need to be observed closely. Personally I would have gone for a hardy type of fish as my first tank inhabitant. I'm surprised your lfs didn't suggest this to you. However after saying all that, good luck and happy fishkeeping! :thumbs:

well i have 10 neons and they hardly shoal and every now and then they will fight as for the fat stomach my tetras look bloated when they feed

Thanks guys, will probs go and get a few more tetras, but I only have an 18" tank, so dont want to totally fill it with tetras. Fancy a few guppys and then I will look at a bigger tank when I have the money.

Thanks again

Richard

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back