April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Deanleechtropical

Reaction score
I have the tetra 105 liter fish tank but i am finding if i have the light on for more than 5 hours my plants glass heater and filter is getting covered in algee anyone had this problem and could tell me of a bettwr light or a fix to get for this thank you

I have the tetra 105 liter fish tank but i am finding if i have the light on for more than 5 hours my plants glass heater and filter is getting covered in algee anyone had this problem and could tell me of a bettwr light or a fix to get for this thank you

Some additional data needed as the approach varies. First important point, do you have live plants in the tank, or not? By five hours, am I correct in assuming this is five hours each day, so over time the algae increases? And can you provide any data on the light...spectrum, type?

Some additional data needed as the approach varies. First important point, do you have live plants in the tank, or not? By five hours, am I correct in assuming this is five hours each day, so over time the algae increases? And can you provide any data on the light...spectrum, type?
Hi yes have it on for 5 hours a day was on 9 but keep taking it down hoping it will stop the algee i have read reveiws on tank had few people say the light is to bright started getting green and black beard algee on plants and glass

I will assume you have live plants, so the approach to deal with "problem" algae is one of balance in the light/nutrients. First, let me say that algae is natural in any healthy aquarium, so no one can ever eradicate it completely--those who "seem" to do so, judging from photos of spotless tanks, either have very unhealthy tanks or they take the photo after they have dealt with the algae.

Problem algae is when it begins to harm and eventually kill the plants. No fish (with one or two exceptions that become large and have their own problems/needs) will eat problem algae. Snails and shrimp might, but usually the algae is much too rampant for this to be effective. The only means of eliminating problem algae is to establish or re-establish the light/nutrient balance.

I don't know the intensity of your tank light, and you did not provide the spectrum if you can, and these two factors are critical. Provided the intensity and spectrum are OK for the specific plants, and then assuming the required nutrients are present in the tank, the duration can be adjusted to tweak things. Nutrients occur from fish feeding, water changes, and using plant additives/fertilizer is any. Plants have varying needs for light and nutrients; generally, fast-growing plants need more, slow growing need less. A photo of the tank would show us the plant load.

Snails and shrimp might, but usually the algae is much too rampant for this to be effective. The only means of eliminating problem algae is to establish or re-establish the light/nutrient balance.
Not exactly agreed. My nerites ate all the thick algae in a matter of months and because my tank is now free of algae, I'm scared they will starve. There are good species for doing this.
don't know the intensity of your tank light, and you did not provide the spectrum if you can, and these two factors are critical. Provided the intensity and spectrum are OK for the specific plants, and then assuming the required nutrients are present in the tank, the duration can be adjusted to tweak things.
Everything else agreed.

Hi & welcome to TFF. Some tips in relation to your problem have already been given by Byron. Hope you can solve your problem.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back