Testing well water

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

JuiceBox52

Passionate about fish and their care
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Pet of the Month šŸŽ–ļø
Reaction score
Iā€™ve got plans to move my 55 gallon. We are on a well instead of the city water I was previously on. Does this test look sufficient to test for everything I might need? I do know thereā€™s low levels of arsenic in the water as well, we filter it out and the filter makes it harder, but we have a softener also. Thereā€™s ways to bypass the filter, the softener or both, to just have straight well water. I plan to take samples of all three and test. They are strip tests

@Byron @AbbeysDad @Essjay
535476D0-2440-49DC-8B21-ACC835B934AD.jpeg

I am not qualified to say whether or not the test kit is good enough or not but I suppose I should congratulate you on your new house? Congratulations! šŸ„³

I am not qualified to say whether or not the test kit is good enough or not but I suppose I should congratulate you on your new house? Congratulations! šŸ„³
Weā€™ve actually lived here for a little over a year I just havenā€™t moved my tanks yet :rofl:

I would be concerned about my own consumption of well water as well as my fish. Can you have a sample tested professionally (by a lab)? I've no idea on the test. Depending what fish you have, water from a softener if it uses sodium chloride is as dangerous if not more so than hard water. A thread on arsenic was posted a few minutes ago.

I would be concerned about my own consumption of well water as well as my fish. Can you have a sample tested professionally (by a lab)? I've no idea on the test. Depending what fish you have, water from a softener if it uses sodium chloride is as dangerous if not more so than hard water. A thread on arsenic was posted a few minutes ago.
The OP (JuiceBox) posted that thread you speak of šŸ¤£

Our filter gets rid of the arsenic

Filters should not increase the hardness.

The test kit covers a range of things that might be found in tap or ground water, however there won't be any chlorine in ground water. If there is then there is some serious contamination.

You can use your aquarium test kits to check the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, GH & KH. The kit does most of those but not ammonia. Ground water should always be tested for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate because it comes from agricultural runoff and from industrial areas.

Depending on the price of the test kit, it might be cheaper than a professional water testing company, especially if the kit can do the tests more than once. Otherwise find a water testing company and get them to check the water once a year.

If you have your own test kits, check the ground water a couple of times a year.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back