Testing Water For Coral Reef

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

KAPEL

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My tank is up and running, LR is in and got 2 snails and 1 Nemo in to check the water. However, I want to grow reefs/Coral in my tank. I know that this take months of preparation, and I am willing to do that. However, can anyone please tell me what sort of tests must be performed in order to make sure your water is ready or not.

I would love to know the test kits, methods and levels required if possible. Highly appreciated.

I have the API master saltwater, and API master reef kits.  The saltwater kit takes care of PH/ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, and the reef kit takes care of calcium/alkalinity/nitrate/phosphate.   All of these values are going to be vital to your reef tank, as well as Salinity and Magnesium, which would be seperate purchases.  I currently get my magnesium tested at the fish store because the test is $20 to buy, but I did purchase a salinity pen, and can't imagine keeping a reef/saltwater tank without one.

Calcium - 400-500ppm
Alk - 8-12dkh
Salinity - 33-35ppt (1.025 - 1.026 gravity)
Temp - 76-83 degrees farenheit
Ph - 8.1-8.3
Magnesium - 1250-1350ppm
Phosphate -  < 0.03ppm
Ammonia/Nitrate/Nitrite - < 0.2 ppm

Those parameters will keep most coral growing healthy given the right lighting!

Just a couple things to add to the above:
- Make sure you get a high range pH kit if buying the kits separately. 
- Most tanks will be incredibly lucky to get <0.2ppm for nitrate. Getting <10ppm is a more common goal for young tanks, <5ppm is good for many mature systems, and lower than that is only really necessary if aiming for ultra-low-nutrient systems like are needed for some SPS reefs (a rather specialized case, since some other corals actually can't survive in systems with so few free nutrients). 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back