FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

itiwhetu

Naturally First
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi,
On this forum site everyone is testing.
Question. What are you testing for and what do you do when you find what you are looking for.

If you are just testing so you know that you need to water change you should be able to do that with out the test but with observation. If you are testing for dead fish you should be able to do that with observation. If you are testing for over feeding you should know that by observation.

So why all this testing?. What do you do with the results of the tests?. What do you do when things aren't right?.

Tests are very necessary when cycling a tank so you know where you are in the cycling process. I rarely test my tanks now that they are mature and stable. The only thing I test for now is ammonia IF a fish disappears or has been dead in the tank for a long time OR if fish are acting strangely or look stressed. I very occasionally test for nitrates using the Salifert Nitrate test if I have gone too long between water changes. I usually do a 50% water change every 10 to 12 days (tanks are not heavily stocked) but if I go longer, I might test for nitrates so I can get an idea how large a water change I should do. Otherwise I might test for nitrates every few months just to be sure they're not building up too high., But generally my nitrates stay under 20 ppm as my tank is mature and is well planted (plants can absorb ammonia and nitrites or nitrates.

Last edited:
I don't have a regular testing regime, 75% water change every 2 weeks and may test everything in my API kit now & then, pH, NH4, NO3, NO2 just to satisfy myself nothing is changing, but in the last year very little shifts in any reading. I occasionally overfeed but see the effects in algae before a test result change.
Testing just appeals to my geeky/gadget nature, all results go on an Online logging website just so I can look & go "didn't really need to do it did I?"

I don't have a regular testing regime, 75% water change every 2 weeks and may test everything in my API kit now & then, pH, NH4, NO3, NO2 just to satisfy myself nothing is changing, but in the last year very little shifts in any reading. I occasionally overfeed but see the effects in algae before a test result change.
Testing just appeals to my geeky/gadget nature, all results go on an Online logging website just so I can look & go "didn't really need to do it did I?"
Did you need to do it, most probably not. Did it give you a feeling of security? Then that's good that you logged them.

I rarely test thesedays.

When cycling I find it an essential part of basic maintenance, but once established most aquariums will manage themselves pretty well.

That said, if I notice fish body language/activity change, feeding being off, any slight whiff from the water that shouldn't be there or a filter is not performing as it should then I will test to ensure all is well...if fine, I will monitor and if tests indicate the start of an issue, then I get it sorted before things get out of hand, whether that entail filter work or simple water changes over a day or more.

Fish will soon let you know a problem exists, long before you reach for the test kit....if you know your fish behaviour, body language and activity levels and can interpret them sufficiently. The human nose might not be as efficient as the dog's nose but you can still pick up the early stages of an issue and deal with it without the need of a test kit.

I probably didn't need to do it, but as with a lot of things I do I enjoy getting into the detail & knowing for sure that things are OK, not just with fishkeeping but around the house & at work. That's just me. Using technology where available satisfies the geek, I like gadgets (I have the Fluval Aquasky lights for example) and have considered getting the Hanna Instruments electronic water testers - but am resisting the cost as I really don't need them.
For a lot of newer fishkeepers I think it gives a sense of security that they are controlling the fish's environment correctly; I imagine that after a while they will reduce the amount of tests, or even stop once they are familiar with how the tank works.

I actually silent cycled my last tank with hardly a test, just confirmed things were OK before I added fish, that needed patience!

I tested extensively during cycling my two tanks, up to the stage where they were functioning as they should.

I also tested around adding new fish to the tank and have tested when my nerite snails disappeared.
(I'm testing for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates...the rest of the potential variables are non-variable ;) ).

I also immediately test if I think a fish, any fish, might be behaving differently...although as time progressed, I'm better able to see what was acting differently is actually behaving normally.

I confess that, like other respondents, it is something to 'do', fish-related.
Now my tanks are established, beyond basic maintenance, there's little to do and I have to control the urge to mess.
A little underwater gardening helps and the fish are great to watch, for long, long periods, but it's that 'doing' I miss.
(This is why many of us get MTS).

For me, a regular testing regime is just part of what I view as a healthy habit to have.
I also water change more than many might consider as necessary, but that's based on my realisation that, in the wild, the fish usually experience 100% water changes, 24/7.

If you are just testing so you know that you need to water change you should be able to do that with out the test but with observation. If you are testing for dead fish you should be able to do that with observation. If you are testing for over feeding you should know that by observation.
Observation is but one useful tool in the tool box. I like to use other tools I have at my disposal. No matter how reflective I can be, my observations will always be subjective. Basic chemistry tends not to be.
What do you do when things aren't right?
Water change! :D

I tested extensively during cycling my two tanks, up to the stage where they were functioning as they should.

I also tested around adding new fish to the tank and have tested when my nerite snails disappeared.
(I'm testing for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates...the rest of the potential variables are non-variable ;) ).

I also immediately test if I think a fish, any fish, might be behaving differently...although as time progressed, I'm better able to see what was acting differently is actually behaving normally.

I confess that, like other respondents, it is something to 'do', fish-related.
Now my tanks are established, beyond basic maintenance, there's little to do and I have to control the urge to mess.
A little underwater gardening helps and the fish are great to watch, for long, long periods, but it's that 'doing' I miss.
(This is why many of us get MTS).

For me, a regular testing regime is just part of what I view as a healthy habit to have.
I also water change more than many might consider as necessary, but that's based on my realisation that, in the wild, the fish usually experience 100% water changes, 24/7.
Remember that their 100% water change is only from the slightly less dirty water up stream from them

Last edited:
For freshwater:
I test my tap water to know what I'm working with. Maybe a couple of times over a couple of weeks to make sure there are no changes. There never has been and I don't expect there would be, but its a "just in case".

I test ammonia and nitrite while cycling. I don't care about nitrate at this stage.

Once I'm cycled I check that my plants are eating the nitrate nicely. If so I know have a decent enough amount of plant mass and growth. Then I add fish.

Now I don't really ever test again. In theory if I had a fish get ill, act odd, die, etc I would test everything. In practice I'm still going to be doing the same things anyway, water change, check filtration and equipment is working correctly, etc.

Only time testing is going to be useful here is if there was an ammonia/nitrite spike just to make sure that whatever caused it has actually be fixed and that levels are going back to zero.

I supposed there could be a change with PH or water hardness but seeing as I don't mess with them anyway and I do regularly weekly water changes it is something that is never realistically going to happen with the water I use.

I guess I could consider a CO2 drop checker to be water testing. In which case If I'm using CO2 I'm testing the water constantly using a drop checker and 4dHK solution.

On a full reef tank:
I'm testing everything I can get a test kit for, at least once a week. Some of it is automated and 24/7. I'm normally doing lots of things that effect water chemistry and I want to know EXACTLY what is happening at all times.

Good point about tapwater changes...my supplier is obliged by Law to inform customers of potential changes and it does so.
For example, during a dry spell, our water might've been more borehole water, than (Ennerdale) lake water.
Likewise, when there was a major leak on the line.
Personally, I'd hate to have to fix a problem, just because of complacency on my part.

Personally, I'd hate to have to fix a problem, just because of complacency on my part.
I have lived in this area for most my life and honestly the water parameters have never really changed at all in all that time. I vaguely remember them having to add some extra chemical to it for a little while, maybe 20 years back, but even that didn't effect anything.

I know anything is possible and a supply issue, broken pipe or whatever could change that but realistically I don't think that's going to happen.

For freshwater, I rarely test anything, because I know my tanks are fully cycled and stable.

For saltwater on the other hand, I am weekly testing phosphates, nitrates, pH, calcium, and kH.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back