Test Kits

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Some are sensitive and don’t make it in shipment even tho it’s in a case so I went through a couple replacements then they were sold out so I had to search for another to use

😅…is it??? Whew…thanks ❣️ I notice ppl were in need of the calibrated liquid and had to buy more bc it didn’t work the first shot so I figured I should keep it on hand.

I really like the 12 years on yours tho lol

Morning all.
I just thought I would offer an alternative to the API Master test kit, in the NT Labs Aquarium multi test kit.
I have had an API for years and only noticed the other day it was a few years out of date. My tank is quite mature now and I haven’t had any issues with water quality for a long time and would only test once so often with 0’s across the board each time. When realising the kit had a shelf life I thought best to replace, but my LFS was out of them so over to Amazon I went and the NT labs came up. This had the addition of the General Hardness and Carbonate hardness which I wanted to test. This combo worked out cheaper than the API and separate KH / GH tests (not included in the kit).

Everyone always says get the API, so is there any difference in quality as from what I have seen it’s a pretty good kit.
Thanks, will definitely check this out! just ordered the tests not included in the API Master Kit from Amazon.

For myself, it's not so much as the exact readings I get, as the changes that are indicated between testings.
It is to the changes that I pay more attention, once I get zero for ammonia and nitrites.
Indeed, the test kits that we purchase should be a guide as to how your water parameters are.

Truth be told, quite often these tests are not infallible and false readings or tests carried out wrong can lead to wrong assumptions so getting hung up on super accuracy test kits should not be the priority.

It’s more likely the swings in pH and gH that does the most harm for our livestock rather than perhaps very low levels of ammonia & nitrite or even nitrate at around 30-40+ppm.

What should be observed also is the behaviour of your livestock, they will tell you better than any test kit on how the water parameters are, lethargy, staying at water surface, gasping, lumps, scales falling off, fins/tails deformities, red gills etc etc and perhaps if you have shrimps especilly IMO as these are more sensitive to swings in water parameters and if one see shrimps haring around the tank (not to be confused with male shrimps running around in excitement of berried females) and even if these shrimps trying to get out of the tank water then something could be seriously wrong and a prompt water test and large water change may be in order.

These are just a few examples of what keepers should look out for along with with test results.

Test kits are undoubtedly an important factor but learning the basics goes a long way imho.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back