Terrestrial Plants Sold As Water Plants

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tongue_Flicker

Fish Herder
Reaction score
In the past couple of months, i've seen a lot of posts in different forums regarding pseudo-water plants. I have no idea why or how the terrestrial plant sham started in the US/UK area but i have also encountered similar topics in some frog forums that i'm in. So far i have made an ID for the most common land plants sold as aquatic plants to unwary customers. They are as follows:

Aluminum plant (Pilea argentea)
Nerve plant (Fittonia verschaffelti)
Mosaic plant (Fittonia albivenis)
Fittonia argyroneura
Cast-iron plant (Aspidistra elatior)
Arrowhead plant (Syngonium podophyllum)
Caladium bicolor 'Florida red'
Wandering Jew (Tradescantia zebrina)
Peace lily (Spatiphyllum sp.)
Poison dart plant (Aglaonema commutatum)
Moses in a boat (Rhoeo discolor or Tradescantia spathacea)
Little heart (Peperomia pellucida)

I'll try to update this list once another unsuspecting victim from other forum pitches in. Hope this helps to avoid these plants in your tanks :)

Oh that is another great info. Thanks! It's about time people are made aware of this as some people seem to just accept things as they are and thus stores tend to abuse them.

To update on Bolbitis difformis..Its very slow. Its not a rumor that it takes up to a year of this plant sitting and looking near death to comeback. Mine I was sure was going to die in days. 6 months later,they are still alive with 3 fronds on one plant. Nothing like the dense fern it was grown emersed by the grower.
I don't use Co2..so extrapolate from that if you do.
Its for the connoisseur for sure. Does not make a difference in the scape but if you like making the difficult happen..it's good for that.

This drives me crazy. I bought $60 worth of plants and $45 of them are house plants. I also received about 300 free snails much to my horror!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back