Terrestrial plants In aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

I have 2 pothos roots in one of my tanks. Both fish and plants are doing great. Water parameters are generally perfect or near perfect.

I cleaned and cleaned and then cleaned the pothos roots some more, and then soaked the roots in water for a couple of weeks before adding it to my aquarium just to make sure that the roots wouldn't disintegrate in water. Every few weeks I pull the plants out and trim the roots a bit.
I am moving in the same direction. Emailing this post to myself. Have pothos all over the house.
622055B1-BBED-4D50-BEFE-C73704BB64B9.jpeg

Iā€™m kind of repeating what others have said to me on this topic and pothos is up for debate basically itā€™s known to be toxic to dogs and cats but whether or not it is for fish is less clear.

There are definitely plants that are safe this is an area of the hobby that is growing really fast so have a look around and there will be some positive articles and opinions.

Really looking to drop my weekly water changes from around 60-70% to around 40-50% doesnā€™t sound loads but 20% is 100l difference in my tank , even with large weekly water changes I still have small levels of NO3 by the end of the week itā€™s normally 20ppm due to my stocking they are messy require an armyā€™s worth of food and eat every living plant I had and tried to introduce, they even eat the leaf litter
So my question is can terrestrial plants take the NO3 out of my water ?
Iv seen cases of plants grown out of the water with the roots drawing from the tank not sure what plants they were but Iā€™m not sure if they were just for visual purposes or weather they can help water quality in a tank where the stock wonā€™t allow plants in the tank ?

Yes, terrestrial plants whose roots (only) are in the aquarium water will assimilate nitrate. Terrestrial plants, unlike aquatic plants, use nitrate as their source of nitrogen. Aquatic plants do not, they use ammonia/ammonium; this does work to lower nitrates because the removal of so much ammonia/ammonium means less for the bacteria so less nitrite and less nitrate result. Just so you know.

Terrestrial plants can be toxic to fish, depending upon the species. Philodendron I believe is toxic, and in spite of any YouTube advice to the contrary, the sap than runs through the leaves, stems and roots of pathos is toxic. If your fish are prone to eat anything as you say, do not use toxic plants. Putting the roots in a filter rather than the tank itself can get around this problem, if a filter allowing this is on the tank. Simple illustration, an HOB filter, though you would probably want something larger.

As for water changes, you need more of them, not fewer, and these plants will not alter that. There is much more than just nitrates involved in changing water. From your description of the fish and conditions, you should not reduce the water changes at all.

Yes, terrestrial plants whose roots (only) are in the aquarium water will assimilate nitrate. Terrestrial plants, unlike aquatic plants, use nitrate as their source of nitrogen. Aquatic plants do not, they use ammonia/ammonium; this does work to lower nitrates because the removal of so much ammonia/ammonium means less for the bacteria so less nitrite and less nitrate result. Just so you know.

Terrestrial plants can be toxic to fish, depending upon the species. Philodendron I believe is toxic, and in spite of any YouTube advice to the contrary, the sap than runs through the leaves, stems and roots of pathos is toxic. If your fish are prone to eat anything as you say, do not use toxic plants. Putting the roots in a filter rather than the tank itself can get around this problem, if a filter allowing this is on the tank. Simple illustration, an HOB filter, though you would probably want something larger.

As for water changes, you need more of them, not fewer, and these plants will not alter that. There is much more than just nitrates involved in changing water. From your description of the fish and conditions, you should not reduce the water changes at all.
Quick question if I can pick your brain a second , slightly off topic but Iā€™m planning on rehoming my group of 10 bronze corys on the sole purpose of cleaner water .. my logic is that with passive feeder in a tank with very aggressive feeder Iā€™m having to put more food in the tank in smaller sizes so it spreads to the substrate if that wasnā€™t an issue and I only had aggressive feeders my brain is saying there will be no food waste at all . Or would I be worsening the situation by removing the only fish that collects food debris ?

Quick question if I can pick your brain a second , slightly off topic but Iā€™m planning on rehoming my group of 10 bronze corys on the sole purpose of cleaner water .. my logic is that with passive feeder in a tank with very aggressive feeder Iā€™m having to put more food in the tank in smaller sizes so it spreads to the substrate if that wasnā€™t an issue and I only had aggressive feeders my brain is saying there will be no food waste at all . Or would I be worsening the situation by removing the only fish that collects food debris ?

The amount of food going in the tank, regardless of which fish eat it or if it is "left," is a significant factor in water quality and fish health. Fish do not need much food because of their physiology. Birds and mammals must eat more food per mass because most of the energy obtained by what is eaten goes to providing an internal body temperature. Fish do not have this need, and they also have a much easier life in an aquarium where food is readily provided without have to search for or capture it, and where there are no predators to escape from. These things all use energy, but eliminating them means less energy is needed.

Corydoras must be fed appropriate foods. These will sometimes be the same foods as upper fish, but sometimes not. Ensuring they have sufficient when there are large ravenous fish present is a concern. As you asked the direct question, my advice would be to separate out the cories. The upper larger fish getting more food than they really need is only making the water quality poorer, and that affect the cories as much as the upper fish.

The amount of food going in the tank, regardless of which fish eat it or if it is "left," is a significant factor in water quality and fish health. Fish do not need much food because of their physiology. Birds and mammals must eat more food per mass because most of the energy obtained by what is eaten goes to providing an internal body temperature. Fish do not have this need, and they also have a much easier life in an aquarium where food is readily provided without have to search for or capture it, and where there are no predators to escape from. These things all use energy, but eliminating them means less energy is needed.

Corydoras must be fed appropriate foods. These will sometimes be the same foods as upper fish, but sometimes not. Ensuring they have sufficient when there are large ravenous fish present is a concern. As you asked the direct question, my advice would be to separate out the cories. The upper larger fish getting more food than they really need is only making the water quality poorer, and that affect the cories as much as the upper fish.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question I do plan to rehome them as they are great little fish and get so over looked in my tank And hopefully without them I can feed more accurately and Ben slightly better off

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back