Terracotta Caves...your Thoughts

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nut4clife

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All
I'm in the process of introducing new cave structures into my Mbuna tank.  I currently have 3 acei, 3 red zebras, 1 johanni, and 1 common plec in a 29gl tank.  Everybody is getting along. They are about 10 months old...still juveniles.  Currently I have artificial cave structures at each end of the tank with a large piece of driftwood separating the areas.  Well the red zebras have taken over the structures at each end of the tank rendering the acei and johanni middle/upper tank swimmers.

I've started creating new cave structures to replace the drift wood (see pics).  I've taken terracotta flower pots (4.5 in and 10in) and cut them in half on a tile cutter.  The bottom of each was modified so the bottom hole is opened 3 inches on the smaller ones and 6 on the larger.  Using aquarium safe clear silicone sealant, I've mounted the halves into unique cave structures.  At least 2 will go into the tank after soaking in "aquarium water" for 24 hours.  This will give the acei and johanni a structure to claim.  I will be increasing from the 29 to a 55 in several weeks after moving...this is just temporary but what do you think about the terracotta caves?

I'm glad you said you will be upgrading to a 55, because I was about to say I just had to rehome my Africans that were in my 29 gallon due to aggression issues and not enough space!
But I like the caves! I use the pots, but I didn't do anything fancy. Lol.

Looks great! I'm sure they'll love it :) Glad to hear you'll be upgrading to a 55g. You do know you'll need to still ugprade after that right?
Not trying to attack you or anything just making sure you know!

Thank you all!  Ninjouzata lol I know the common plec will grow to be 25 inches but I've already planned to relocate him in a pond with Koi that a friend has.  Just waiting for the weather to get warmer.  I'll introduce another algae eater that will stay within no more than 6 or 7 inches so I think I should be good with the 55 for a while.  LFS sold me the plec without informing me what it's adult size would be...something they've done to us all at some point. 
yes.gif

That's how I ended up with Gator! My common. Lol.
You could do a bristle nose pleco. But just keep a watch out for him. Africans tend to be mean to them too! Don't want him losing an eye!

Thanks Lesley,
I saw on youtube where this kid had a common that was 25 inches and had it in a 10 gal!  That was so upsetting!  I got mine 6 months ago and it was only 3 inches and is now about 10 in.  He holds his own amongst his tank-mates and they steer clear of him when algae browsing...they may follow and look but that's about it lol.  I just put the caves in and will post pics on another thread in here.

They look great! Well done

Can i ask why you are soaking them for 24hours?

To introduce them into the aquarium having been in aquarium water for a short period.  They probably didn't need it yet it was not a costly or ill prepared option to be on the safe side with my pets.  I had no counsel to the contrary until you questioned it.  My first tank I guess I'm being over protective (being a great dad lol).  Thanks and I did post them in the tank here on a different thread.

Ahhh yep, understand the being cautious thing :)

The silicone i use fully cures in 72 hours, i just let things sit on the bench for that time, then straight into the tank they go

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back