Temporary Housing

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dmarie04

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have some of these without the dividers. They hold a little more than 1/3 of a gallon of water or just about 1 full liter. Would they be ok for temporary housing (no more than 48 hours) for a betta? I like to give my bettas plenty of room and generally preach that one gallon is the absolute minimum for a betta, but since it's only going to be a couple days (if even that), they should be ok, right? They are due to arrive tomorrow morning and I have decided to rearrange all my tanks and set up a sorority instead of keeping females seperate, so this will take a day or two to complete. All my current bettas are in 2 gallons and up (well I have one small female in a 1 gallon..but not for long), but the new ones would just be in the small "tanks" until I get done rearranging.

Yeah, they should be fine. Mine does fine if I take him out of the regular tank for a day or two. I think he may like it a little having time alone for a bit. :p

They dont mind...I kept one in a glass jug on holiday last year...had to buy him he was beautiful...he made a lovely bubble nest. I think he liked living in middle of table where we could all see him... :shout:

for i few days, i suppose it wont do any harm, make sure you keep the temperature up and give him a water change if hes in there for any longer.

great question :good: . i was wondering the same thing and like most other people here, i think a day or two wont do any harm, it's bigger than the pet store cups.

He should be fine.
When I first got my bettas (I couldn't wait anymore)... I plced them into half gallon jars for 2 days and they were fine.
Now I did have some trouble keeping them warm, but I did small water changes twice a day with warmer water to help.

I agree with everyone else the tank would be fine for a day or two but its just keeping him warm which will be a pain.
Good Luck.

Well their small tanks are now being used as hospital tanks :( 3 of them aren't doing well. 1 male is perfectly fine and I'll get him in his permanent home tomorrow, hopefully. 1 of the females is floating at the top of her tank. She's completely motionless. If I tap the tank she'll dart away but then slowly float back up to the top. The other male and other female are laying at the bottom of their tanks. They look dead, except when I tap the side and then they'll move some, but then go back to the bottom :( I added just a tiny bit of aquarium salt (since the tanks are so small I didn't want to overdo it) and some Betta Fix. I really don't know what else to do for them. The house is very warm so I don't have to worry about temperature right now. We're having unusually warm weather all this week and it's over 80F here inside the house. Even at night. I hope this lasts, because I think moving them to their larger tanks right now would be too much stress for them, but there's no way to add a heater to these small ones. I think I'll lower the water level so they don't have to go too far for air, but other than that I don't know what else to do for them. I emailed the seller that I won them from (they are aquabid purchases), but I don't know what help she could offer. My husband is the one who received them this morning and he said the water in the bags was so brown and cloudy he could barely see the fish. The only way he knew they were alive is he saw movement when he poked at the bags. He acclimated them for over an hour and then netted them out and put them in their tanks. And here they are. 1 is perfectly fine. 3 look almost dead.
I've had rotten luck with fish shipments here lately. I think I'm gonna lay off for a long long time (well, I'm running out of room, anyhow!LOL)
Please pray for my new babies. :sad:

brown water could have been IAL? They are probably really stressed out, lower the water level, and keep them clean and dont startle them, worry about meds or anything after they have settled.

Yep, I just got a response from the seller. It was almond leaf water. So that's ok. My husband (who is not a fish person) keeps going over to check on them. I have to keep reminding him that they need to be left alone right now! LOL I will lower the water levels and make sure everyone leaves them be and just keep an eye on them.

The sickly male did not make it through the night :-( This is the first betta I've ever had die. I'm really upset. The two females are no better yet. In fact I think the yellow one will be next to go. She was at bottom of the tank and I tried to see if she was dead and she wouldn't move at all, so I had to stick edge of net in the tank and nudge her and she started flapping her fins, but still didn't really move :( So she's alive, but just barely. The red female is still just floating at the top, but she does dart away if frightened. She was swimming a bit while I was disposing of the dead male. But then she just went back to the top to float. The male that died was a gorgeous black and red halfmoon and I just wish I'd had been able to enjoy him while he was healthy :(

Oh gosh. The seller just emailed me. She said she wants to make things right. She assures me they were all healthy when shipped. And now she wants to know what I want to do. Should I ask for a refund? Another fish? A partial refund? If the fish were all healthy when they were shipped, then there isn't anything that she did wrong. They were shipped FedEx overnight and weren't even in transit 24 hours. She shipped at 11 am Tuesday and I recv'd them here at 9 am the next day. Maybe I will tell her I will wait to see how the females pull through. *sigh*

I hate to be the negative person, lol, but it seems hard to believe that those fish could arrive in such poor condition after being in shipping for less then 24 hours. I had a package of random fish (sent to me by accident so I wasn't expecting them) arrive on a thursday in -10 degree weather, I wasn't expecting them so I didn't check my mail till that monday so they were sitting in a box in the mailroom for 3-4 days, and they were all fine. I think she might be trying to cover for herself, because maybe the fish weren't 100% when she shipped them, but then again if shes willing to refund, then she may have package up quick and not noticed that they weren't doing so hot. I'd personally ask for a replacement for the male that passed away if shes willing to make things right.

As for the girls, the ones who keeps floating to the top, sounds like she has a swimbladder issue which can be caused by a number of things, the most common are constipation, stress, or she hit/bruised her swim bladder in some way. Lower the water level so she doesn't have to work to get to the top, don't feed her, and add a bit of aquarium salt (1 tsp./gallon)

I'm not sure what to tell you about the other girl. What are her symptoms again? Any odd markings? red marks? fuzz? does she look bloated?

I'm glad at least one males doing ok :good: would love to see pictures of him!!

And I'm so sorry for the male that you lost!! I'm sure he was gorgeous :rip: little man :flowers: :byebye:

I agree with everyone else the tank would be fine for a day or two but its just keeping him warm which will be a pain.
Good Luck.

I just moved my betta from his tank into a 3 litre jar, and converted his tank into a hospital tank for an emergency. This morning he surprised me with a small bubble nest, so it looks as if he doesn't mind that much!

Most reactions

trending

Back