Temperature

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Le FishĂȘ

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So 1 of my fish tanks have ICH and so I raised the temperature to 30°C as it usually kills the parasite but my fish seem to be swimming on thr top of the tank and from time to time putting their heads out of the water. I need to keep thie temperature for a week to exterminate the parasite, will any fish die in the process because of the heat? I hope they don't.

So 1 of my fish tanks have ICH and so I raised the temperature to 30°C as it usually kills the parasite but my fish seem to be swimming on thr top of the tank and from time to time putting their heads out of the water. I need to keep thie temperature for a week to exterminate the parasite, will any fish die in the process because of the heat? I hope they don't.
Look up the heat tolerances for all of the fish in the tank. You also should get aquarium salt, as heat will stop it reproducing but won’t kill it.
Hope this helps and good luck :)

Look up the heat tolerances for all of the fish in the tank. You also should get aquarium salt, as heat will stop it reproducing but won’t kill it.
Hope this helps and good luck :)
I searched up and it said i shouldnt be adding the salt because the fish are already infected

I searched up and it said i shouldnt be adding the salt because the fish are already infected
I’m not sure where you got that information, but the purpose of adding salt is to encourage the parasites to detach from the fish. That’s why it’s used as treatment for ich and other parasites.

Salt has absolutely no effect on white spot. It does not cause it to drop off and does not kill it.

Make sure you have increased aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

If you don't have an airstone bubbling away in the tank, add one.
If you have a power filter, raise the outlet of the filter so it's above the water and splashes more.

Salt has absolutely no effect on white spot. It does not cause it to drop off and does not kill it.

Make sure you have increased aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

If you have a power filter, raise the outlet of the filter so it's above the water and splashes more.
So salt is useless against ICH? Ok thank you, I'll make sure to add a airstone on my tank

As Colin stated above, maximize your surface agitation, so that you get optimal gas exchange.

Warmer water holds less oxygen than cooler water.

As Colin stated above, maximize your surface agitation, so that you get optimal gas exchange.

Warmer water holds less oxygen than cooler water.
Yes, yes.

I have a question though, how to connect a airstone to a power filter?

Some power heads have a venturi nozzle that can suck air in and create bubbles but normally you need an air pump that sits outside the tank (preferably higher than the tank), some airline/ tubing and an airstone (preferably plastic multicoloured that can be taken apart and cleaned.

Most reactions

Back