Temperature for shrimps

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

evanb

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
What temperature range can shrimps survive happily in?
I'm trying to avoid using a heater.
Also, I suppose they don't need a filter as long as there are enough water changes to make up for it?
I don't have any shrimps at the moment but I'm planning on getting some for my 10litre.

Depends on what species you would like to keep. But, most are tropical shrimp, meaning they prefer temperatures from 74 - 84 F. I keep my shrimp tank at 76 F, and they breed like crazy.

Ah really? I wasn't thinking about breeding them but that'd be cool.
Do they prefer lots of live plants?

I’ve kept shrimps in small tanks without heaters, stayed in range of around 22-23C / 72/73F and they were fine, usual breeding and berried females etc

But they do require a filter, the small sponge filter with air pump is perfect for them.

Would also say they fare better in established tank rather than newly set up tanks.

Edit - forgot to mention, those were RCS

I keep my RCS at 74F and turned off the heater. I do use a cheap sponge filter. You need a filter. Edited

Last edited:
I keep RedCherryShrimp unheated at around 68F
I understand that the warmer you keep them, the faster their metabolism runs and so its basically like putting their life cycle on fast forward if you keep them at higher temps

If you are considering shrimps, plants are very beneficial for shrimps.

Provides hiding places, makes less stressful environment for them and also provide food for the shrimp they seem to find micro foods or algae all over the plants to eat.

I’ve found they particularly like java moss but they’ll be fine with just about any plants.

Do ensure the plants you get has not been treated with insecticide or anything like that as this will kill them, so ask the LFS where their plants are from, if from EU, should be fine but outside EU, it’s a gamble.

In vitro plants are the safest plants you can get. Look up Tropica website, they sell in vitro plants so that’s a good online source imho.

I keep RedCherryShrimp unheated at around 68F
I understand that the warmer you keep them, the faster their metabolism runs and so its basically like putting their life cycle on fast forward if you keep them at higher temps

Absolutely, this is something I have heard as well, hence my keeping them in a tank without heater, but I do ensure my house is warm so it’s a steady temp.

However if I keep them in a colder room, I would put in a heater in their tank over the winter just to be sure as I reckon 18C is a good safe minimum imho.

Am unsure if they can be kept in cooler water than this but am not brave enough to try this! Heh

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back