Telling Male From Female

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bunjiweb

mmmmmmmarines
Reaction score
Helloo thar.

Well, happy with my tank so today i purchased 3 zebra danios! and very pretty they are too... but hard to catch on camera lol.

But i just want to know how do i tell male from female with the danios?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but i couldnt find where to put it!

Ben

hi there,
female zebra danios have much rounder bellies 'pleasantly plump'! the males are much sleeker. we've also found that the male zebras tend to be generally slightly more goldish with the blue stripes whereas the girls are more silverish.
:D

I love zebra danios. They are very active. And very hardy too. Zebras are the first fish I am going to add to my tank after my fishless cycle is done. I plan to add about 10. May I suggest you add a few more? They are a schooling fish and the consensus seems to be that they are at there best in groups of 6 or more. I am sorry I am not up on answering the male/female question though. Just wanted to throw in my support for your decision to put zebras in your tank. Whatever you decide on adding more I am sure you will enjoy these fish.

We really like our Zebras, so active and playful. They are especially fun for children who may get tired of "pretty" but never get tired of "fun".

It definitely seemed like the happy level in the tank increased when we went from 2 to 5 Danios. We had two to cycle.. although I think I was premature adding more.. they handled it well. Definitely an outstanding fish. I wish I had these instead of those yucky goldfish my parents thought would be "easier" when I was a kid.

I am considering building the school up to 6 this weekend.

Regards,

Artuk

Thanks for the comments people.

One of the zebras seems to have whiskers but i dont think the other 2 do... although i havent had a chance to look at them well as i had work today.

I appreciate that they may work better in a slightly larger school but they do seem very happy and playful.

2 of them were doing some sort of fishy dance swimming about together head to tail in a circle... amazing fish :)

I may add more but i would probably prefer to add another type of platie. As I only have a 20 litre tank I don't want to stock it up further at this stage.

Ben

Ok I think i have 2 females and a male although im still not 100% and i can't catch them on camera to show ya lol...

Ben

hi again
danios are great little fish. i forgot to say as mentioned you do need a much higher ratio of females to males as the males do tend to harrass the females constantly (naughty boys) also leopard danios (spotty + gold/silver - look a bit like a mini mini trout fish) also swim,play,chase with the zebras. they both also LOVE a bit of current in the tank. we have an external filter but as its not too good & until we can get a bigger better one we have our old internal fluval in the tank & turn it on every now & again....the danios go mad in the current it creates at the top of the tank, all taking turns to try & swim swim up against the flow & up over the filter top & back again, its hillarious to watch as sometimes they dont make it & get 'blown' back to the end of the tank where they gather their courage & try again :D :D :D
i realise you dont want to overstock your tank but just some points if you end up with a bigger tank in the future :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back