Tell Me The Name Of This Violet Goby

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BamBeckham

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm new with this DragonFish(Violet Goby) things.

Can anyone tell me what is the specific name of my DragonFish Goby here? Looks like it is quite different with the others when I search in the internet. Most of them have terror & fierce faces.

P1120161a.jpg
P1120169b.jpg

I bought it last week & put her into my 25L tank with Freshwater. I'm planning to change the freshwater to brackish soon. Is it fine if I do that with a 25L tank? From what I read from internet, there must be a minimum 100L(25 gallon) tank for 1 Goby.

What could be possible happening if Goby live in the small tank like mine?

Thanks
Bam

I'm pretty sure that is a (Senegal?) bichir, not a dragonfish. Hopefully someone more experienced will respond soon
smile.png

Dragon Fish is a common name for a number of different and unrelated fish. One of these is the Violet Goby and another is the Senegal Bichir. From your picture, you have a Senegal Bichir, not a Violet Goby.

Agreed, that is an albino Senegal Birchir and definitely does not want brackish water. He will also need a tank much larger than 100L, a 4 foot 240L would be an absolute minimum for him as he grows (and they grow fast)

You also asked what could happen.

Sadly it's not generally a good outcome.

In too small a tank the fish can't swim freely as nature intended, and a large fish will release waste far quicker than any water change or biofilter could possibly hope to remove it. You end up with a fish with stunted growth patterns and toxic damage to it's internal organs.

On top of that the fish get's stressed by being in a cramped environment. Between the physiological stress and the psychological stresses, that all slowly (or in some fish like Bichirs cases, relatively quickly) build up as the fish grows. End result is a fish that never displays it's true potential in appearance, behaviour or life span.

Ninjouzata said:
I'm pretty sure that is a (Senegal?) bichir, not a dragonfish. Hopefully someone more experienced will respond soon
smile.png

Thanks Ninjouzata for your respond. 

the_lock_man said:
Dragon Fish is a common name for a number of different and unrelated fish. One of these is the Violet Goby and another is the Senegal Bichir. From your picture, you have a Senegal Bichir, not a Violet Goby.

Thanks the_lock_man for your info. So now I know what kind of fish I have. It is still from a DragonFish family but another category called Senegal Bichir. No wonder, it is hard to find when u search in the internet using "DragonFish" word because, alot of the result will be show Violet Goby fish. By the way, Can I put it together with the violet Goby in the same tank? (Perhaps I will get another huge tank first). 

MBOU said:
Agreed, that is an albino Senegal Birchir and definitely does not want brackish water. He will also need a tank much larger than 100L, a 4 foot 240L would be an absolute minimum for him as he grows (and they grow fast)
Thanks MBOU. U said that this fish name are "albino", Is there any other Senegal Bichir type out there? & Actually I just login to the forum & saw your replies guys. Unfortunately I already put her to the Brackish water this evening. Ouchhhh... What will happen then? (Looks like I need to trade in back my new tank & change to the huge one. hahaha.)

DrRob said:
You also asked what could happen.

Sadly it's not generally a good outcome.

In too small a tank the fish can't swim freely as nature intended, and a large fish will release waste far quicker than any water change or biofilter could possibly hope to remove it. You end up with a fish with stunted growth patterns and toxic damage to it's internal organs.

On top of that the fish get's stressed by being in a cramped environment. Between the physiological stress and the psychological stresses, that all slowly (or in some fish like Bichirs cases, relatively quickly) build up as the fish grows. End result is a fish that never displays it's true potential in appearance, behaviour or life span.
Thanks DrRob. Your answer very clinically "Doctor".. hehehe.. Perhaps I try to move her to the new tank that much bigger & enough space for her to moving around. But maybe in the 1 or 2 months time. I've just bought this small tank a few days before. Can this fish stay alive that period of time? I'm scare of her life. 

2 things, Can I put a Violet Goby & this Senegal Bichir together in 1 tank if I buy a big tank later?
How about if I put this fish in brackish water, can her survive? or naturally she can? 

***Why the name was Senegal Bichir? Is it this fish come from Africa, Senegal Country?***

Thanks a lot guys.
Bam

No, you shouldn't do so. THe Violet Goby needs brackish water, whereas the bichir needs fresh - it will not survive for long in brackish water. It should reach up to 50cm in length, and really needs a tank of at least 550 litres in capacity, else the effects described by the Doc above will happen.

Yes it was named after the country Senegal, although it can be found in 26 African countries, as well as Senegal and its neighbours in West Africa, it is also found in Egypt, Ethiopia, Tanzania etc in East Africa.

EDIT: The Lock Man beat me to it!

"Albino" refers to the genetic trait that makes your bichir white with red eyes instead of the normal grey with black eyes.

I suggest you change about 60% of the water as soon as possible with fresh water to get rid of the salt and then follow instructions for completing a 'fish in cycle' as your tank wont be very good for the fish if it has only been set up a few days.

Instructions:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/224306-fish-in-cycling/

the_lock_man said:
No, you shouldn't do so. THe Violet Goby needs brackish water, whereas the bichir needs fresh - it will not survive for long in brackish water. It should reach up to 50cm in length, and really needs a tank of at least 550 litres in capacity, else the effects described by the Doc above will happen.

Yes it was named after the country Senegal, although it can be found in 26 African countries, as well as Senegal and its neighbours in West Africa, it is also found in Egypt, Ethiopia, Tanzania etc in East Africa.
Thanks mate, I will move her out ASAP.. lucky me found this forum today & still not late to safe my Bichir. otherwise I will be disappointed.. 

MBOU said:
EDIT: The Lock Man beat me to it!

"Albino" refers to the genetic trait that makes your bichir white with red eyes instead of the normal grey with black eyes.

I suggest you change about 60% of the water as soon as possible with fresh water to get rid of the salt and then follow instructions for completing a 'fish in cycle' as your tank wont be very good for the fish if it has only been set up a few days.

Instructions:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/224306-fish-in-cycling/
After your replied, I straight away do as your suggested. Luckily it was not too long i got you all guys. Thanks so much. Now my target to get a new big tank for my fish.. Could be I want to get a violet Goby as well but place it separately.

I'm happy after see my DragonFish Bichir moving around & feeding 1 of the small fish after 24 hours not eat anything.

Last nite changes made from Brackish to fresh water. Just want to share the different. (See picture)
untitled.JPG

Now I'm thinking about how to provide a great tank for my fish & imagine any good fish put together with her. Actually I like to put 1 or 2 big fishes in my future tank.
Any suggestion guys? How about Arowana Fish? or Mahsee Fish, other name Kelah/Empurau(See picture). Can I put it together with my DragonFish Bichir?
image723843755.jpg

Thanks
Bam

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back