FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I saw Russjw's Odessa fish and find the males to be very colorful and interesting. Can Odessas cohabitate with serpae and black skirt tetras? If so , maybe I will get a few in my 35 gallon hex. Or else I could put them with my tiger barbs if they are compatible. Do they need a large group? Are they aggressive fish?

Last edited:
These are barbs, I assume the "tetra" was just a slip.

Pethia padamya
is a lively but peaceful fish that will normally do well in a larger aquarium with similar-sized non-aggressive fish such as other barbs, rasbora and loaches. It needs at least six but a few more would be better; slow or sedate fish will be annoyed by all this species' activity (not that you're suggesting such, just mentioning for benefit of whomever).

I personally would not risk them with such nippy fish as Serpae or Black Skirt Tetras, and in any case a 35g is insufficient space for anything but the two tetras so long as they are there. As for the Tiger Barb, in a 4-foot tank of at least 55g it might be OK, with a group of 15 TB so they are less inclined to look outside their own species for their trouble-making.

It is an active shoaling fish so the tank must provide adequate swimming room. The colour will be more intense if the aquarium has a dark substrate, with plants around the sides and back, and minimal light (which can partly be achieved with floating plants). Keeping the fish in a group of six or preferably more will also intensify the colouration as the fish interact within the group. The fish move around the aquarium but tend to remain close to the middle in the water column. Males are brightly coloured with orange-red on the flanks and the fin markings are more defined, while on females the flank colouration is confined to the caudal peduncle and lightly in the ventral fins; the female is rounder in shape. I found the photos below, the male is the colourful one and the other is a female.

Attachments

• Puntius padamya2 (male).jpg
    Puntius padamya2 (male).jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 118
  • Puntius padamya3 (female).jpg
    Puntius padamya3 (female).jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 110
Oh well...I guess it's best to leave my 29 gallon as a mainly Tiger Barb tank as I have 8 in there now and my 35 gallon tall hex is already nearly fully stocked and would be best left as is.

Oh well...I guess I can watch Odessa barbs on youtube....or perhaps I could get "just one more tank!" ;)

Last edited:
Beautiful fish which are very inquisitive. Settled in really quick and come straight to my hand to feed. The males are stunning!! I have a group of 9 Odessa's but would like a few more males when my LFS re-stocks.

Couldnt recommend them enough :) Black Ruby barbs are another beauty. Im hopefully picking some up over the weekend

Oh well...I guess it's best to leave my 29 gallon as a mainly Tiger Barb tank as I have 8 in there now and my 35 gallon tall hex already nearly fully stocked and would be best left as is.

Oh well...I guess I can watch Odessa barbs on youtube....or perhaps I could get "just one more tank!" :)
Thats the spirit lol one more tank wont hurt :#

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back