FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

WhistlingBadger

Professional Cat Herder
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Some people say they are wonderful and only go crazy if you drastically overfeed. Others, including some very knowledgeable, trustworthy people on another forum--people who know better than to overfeed--say they are rampant, hideous, aquascape destroying spawn of hell.

So, here's your chance to weigh in. I'm not so interested in second-hand info, having read most of the extremely contradictory information out there. If you've kept this species, I'd love to hear about your experiences. Thanks! T

Some people say they are wonderful and only go crazy if you drastically overfeed. Others, including some very knowledgeable, trustworthy people on another forum--people who know better than to overfeed--say they are rampant, hideous, aquascape destroying spawn of hell.
I fall into the category of demon spawn. DEATH TO SNAILS.

They have no natural predators in aquariums.
They have very tough shells and very few fish can eat them.
They can tolerate high levels of salt and copper simply by closing their operculum.
They breed uncontrollably and produce lots of live young that are tiny and spread via water, plants or ornaments.
They eat fish eggs and plants.
Once they are in the tank, the only way to get rid of them is to remove the fish and poison the tank, then wash it out and start again.

There are plenty of other snails that are much easier to control and I would rather keep Ramshorn and pond snails over Malaysian livebearing snails.

What other snails could keep gravel clean? I would WANT them to breed so I don't have to buy like 8 nerites lol, but I don't want them to get out of control THAT much.

I have been wondering the same thing @WhistlingBadger.

I have MTS, they are the black variety rather than the beigey-brown mottled things you see everywhere (so they may possibly not actually be MTS ???? )

Mine have not bred out of control. If I accidentally suck some up when cleaning the sand I admit that I don't put them back in the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back