Tec12 Filter Leaking

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cynic

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi i have problems with a tec 12 leaking, did my water change as normal changed the filter like i have every couple of months for ages now and the darn thing wont stop leaking.

I googled it and got quite a list of people who have had the same.

Should i just junk it, its running a 300l tank in the middle of my living room. Leaks are the last thing i need. Furniture, flooring, electrics, 300l of water can do a lot with that.....NOT.

Anybody got any tips, at the minute its in a big bucket from the garden and will be turned off when unnatended.

Help.......

Do you mean Tetra Tec EX1200??

Where is it leaking from?

I had the same problem with mine leaking from around the latches, I took it apart and made sure all the baskets were the right way round and fixed in properly then clean up the rubber seal on the top of the filter (the bit that you take off to get to the media) and generously applied some vaseline to it.

Leaks have now stopped, occasionally ill get a little drip from the priming button when priming the filter but it stops after a second or 2.

Hope that helps.

My fluval 305 can also leak from the seal but a quick does of vaseline on the seal normally fixes this.

The vaseline serves 2 purposes, oil based to seal small gaps but quite as importantly it lubes the seal so that when you clamp the top in place it stops the seal from spinning/twisting/deforming due to friction.

I have been messing with it today and its got worse, the water is coming from within the top casing.

Those that have one will know the 2 tone silver/black of the top, the water is coming from the join of the two casings something inside has gone.

Should have left the darn thing alone.

This is where I mean to smear loads of vaseline onto.

Undo the 4 latches and take the top off, turn it upside down and you'll see a big rubber o-ring going round the outside.
Clean this up and dry it off then pile some vaseline all round it making sure you get in all the gaps between the plastic and rubber.
Fix the top back on and do the latches back up and this SHOULD cure your problem.

Hope that helps.

-Edit- make sure the baskets are fixed in properly and the right way round and that the top is on the right way round too!

This is where I mean to smear loads of vaseline onto.

Undo the 4 latches and take the top off, turn it upside down and you'll see a big rubber o-ring going round the outside.
Clean this up and dry it off then pile some vaseline all round it making sure you get in all the gaps between the plastic and rubber.
Fix the top back on and do the latches back up and this SHOULD cure your problem.

Hope that helps.

-Edit- make sure the baskets are fixed in properly and the right way round and that the top is on the right way round too!

Ok gone from ping out to a slight drip. Enough to run for the evening to keep the fish happy. Will give it another vasing if it doesent dry up as i'm not sure if the drip isn't residual water draining out.

I thought this was the ex that was more(relative)leaky free as it has the double latch and the extra o rings on the tap assy that fits the top of the filter.

Cheers..

May get a little dribble for a bit but it should stop eventually.

Glad you got it sorted... kind of. :D

As with any external filter after cleaning you need to be extra careful not to pinch the rubber seal when re fitting the filter head, if you fit the filter head wonky you run the risk of pinching and damaging the rubber seal.

When ever I re fit my filter head I make sure it is all lined up then pull both sides of the latches down together (don't pull them down separately), this way the filter head will be pulled back on to the base straight and minimize the risk of damaging the seal.

Also it is always a good ideal to have a spare rubber seal just in case you do damage it. They don't cost much from Ebay and having a spare can save a lot of hassle.

:)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back