Tds and shrimp breeding

ElissaBee

Reaction score
I finally got a TDS meter. The reading from my tank was over 400. Is this why my neocaridina don't seem to be breeding? From the tap/well it's around 290. But water changes don't seem to bring it down much. My tank is 9.7 gallons so I only change 10% per week.

TDS meters measure everything in the water. I personally don't think they are worth using because you still have to test for other things like GH, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc.

Try doing bigger water changes and see if that helps. Make sure you gravel clean the substrate whenever you do a water change.

Aerate the well water for 30 minutes or more before adding that water to the tank. This will ensure the water has the correct concentration of dissolved gasses in it.

Have lots of plants in the tank for the shrimp to hang out in.

Feed the shrimp regularly (2-3 times a day).

Try larger water changes, 50% or more:)

I have ghost shrimp in a planted 30 gallon. Only had 2 baby shrimp in 4 months. What do you feed your shrimp?
I have heard ghosts are a lot harder to breed than neocardinia and cardinia species

I am new at it so you may be right. I have 3 females with berries again and added some water sprite to the tank for more hiding places for the young.

How does that affect my fish though? I have galaxy rasboras and a few Norman's lampeyes in the tank as well. I don't want to shock them.
Itll be fine :) I have shrimp, guppies, platies, a betta, rummynose, Otos, and snails. They all get 60% weekly and are fine. As long as the water is similar temp it wont shock them

I have heard ghosts are a lot harder to breed than neocardinia and cardinia species
Ghost shrimp are easy to breed but are seasonal breeders, meaning they breed in in warmer weather and stop breeding in cooler weather. In a tropical aquarium they will breed continuously but should have a few months of cooler conditions to recover from breeding.

You don't have to do anything special to breed Ghost shrimp. Keep the water clean, have lots of plants and feed them well. They will do the rest.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back