Tap water ???

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bribones

Fishaholic
Reaction score
just curious as to what this big deal is about tap water ?

ive kept fish for close on 25 years and when i started there was no such thing as dechlorinator etc

i filled my tank ran it overnight to settle the temp and then added the fish
in my 25 years in the hobby i think ive lost a total of 3-5 fish,black moores for the most part and 1 koi

i still add tap water directly to the pond and its been that way since i built it X amount of years ago (yes i changed the pond but still the same water)

if its fit for human consumption i cant see how its going to harm the fish ?

saying no to topping up the pond in bettas post ? i think it would have been a better alternative to dying in dried out mud

people always underestimate freshwater fish there more tolerant than you think

some bloke invented dechlorinator and said hey use it or your fish will die and guess what we all use it

be honest how many of you use tap water without adding anything ?

i said be honest :p

now out of those who dont add how many of you have lost fish beccouse of it ?

very few i imagine

we just use tap water in the pond and have used it in the tank when i found i had no dechlorinator.

Another thing,I've never ever tested the water in my tank or pond,I don't own a testing kit.

My fish are all fine :thumbs:

I use ponds rain and tap water although I do treat both with stress coat if its a large water change, but if its just a top up I don't bother as pond are much larger bodies of water. The only danger with tapwater is the chemicals they can use in the treatment processes, water companies will occasionally use new/cheaper treatment methods which don't affect humans but would affect fish with different chemicals to previous water supplies. You also have to consider that wild caught fish will have come from an environment where these chemicals are not found and delicate species like Rays are at more risk for example.

I did loose a lot of little fish when they upped the chlorine here. I use dechlor now. I don't use it if I'm just topping off a tank though.

i didnt use dechlorinator for many years when i first started and no i didnt lose many fish because of it, but the rubbish they now put in the water doesnt harm you it can irritate a fishes gills. you must live in an area bri where you dont have much added to your water than chlorine but a lot of people have high levels of metals. get a report from the water company and see exactly what is in it.
I use a dechlorinator that takes out heavy metals as well as the chlorine because i want my fish to be in safe water, and if one dies then i know its not because of what came out the tap.
I recently went to the north east of england (berwick)and the taste of the water is awful, it just doesnt taste right so it makes you wonder what is in it, and i wouldnt put fish in it without at least trying to neutralise the chemicals there are.

(berwick)

lol thats out in the sticks ,they only just discoverd the wheel,

my water comes via derwent and its only a few miles so the pipe run from the pumping station at denton burn isnt very long,this may account for my run of good luck with the fish,but i cant help but think most of these add in you are told to use are any good

so your water wont be processed to death then will it? nowadays they add all sorts, so yes you are lucky with the water you get.

know what you mean about berwick, its the pits. great for holidays but living there is awful which i had to endure for a great deal of my childhood. I'm scarred for life :S

We are actually very lucky in england, we are one of a handful of countries worldwide that can drink water straight from the tap. In other countries you are advised to drink bottled water and only use tap water for washing, cleaning etc.

ryan said:
We are actually very lucky in england, we are one of a handful of countries worldwide that can drink water straight from the tap. In other countries you are advised to drink bottled water and only use tap water for washing, cleaning etc.
[snapback]843908[/snapback]​

and this difference is largely due to the increased levels of chemical additives and processing the water undergoes. :dunno: if you don't pay one way, you pay another.

Ive had fish now for about 17 years,both in a tank & in a pond,& always used tap water.

Touch wood *touches head*,ive not had one fatality.Even when i rebuilt my pond,i filled it up with tap water.didnt bother with chemicals at all.& my fish were just as healthy,as they were in the old pond. & like cat,ive never ever test the water..

Imo,the chemical's do help ponds/tanks to a certain extent,,, but people rely on them to much...I

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back