Tap Water & Aragonite Panic

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I have spent a lot of money on this hence why I want to get this right. I will post some pictures of what I have done so far.

EDIT:

I have just taken these pictures. I know I am asking a lot of questions hence why I registered here for help. I've had the tank for less than 3 days so far.

ob1.jpg

ob2.jpg

ob3.jpg

ob4.jpg

ob5.jpg

Is this how you welcome all your new members? I should not have registered here than.

Live rock is saltwater as are clown fish. Bettas and cardinals fresh water. You need to go to a local pet store and talk to employees about setting up a saltwater aquarium. Google setting up a marine aquarium. They are not as easy as freshwater, so you need to make a decision on what you want to do.

thereverendturtle,

It will have to be freshwater as I will get betta, cardinals and a turtle immediately from the local pet shop. I will sell the Natural Ocean Bio Active Live 100% Aragonite Reef Sand on eBay.
I will buy african cichild substrates for freshwater tonight, will it be ok for my betta? I also want to get african cichild fishes but need to search this online.

I have ordered a API Master Test Kit for Freshwater 120g. Any other suggestions? to make freshwater comfortable for the fishes.

It will have to be freshwater as I will get betta, cardinals and a turtle immediately from the local pet shop. I will sell the Natural Ocean Bio Active Live 100% Aragonite Reef Sand on eBay.
I will buy african cichild substrates for freshwater tonight, will it be ok for my betta? I also want to get african cichild fishes but need to search this online.

I have ordered a API Master Test Kit for Freshwater 120g. Any other suggestions? to make freshwater comfortable for the fishes.

please wait and be patient, you cannot just get a betta, cardinals and a turtle immediately from the local pet shop, you should cycle your filter first, on a side note what spieces of turtle do you want? turtles idealy should have a tank on there own

I know you want a fresh water tank with tropicals but that tank is sreaming out to me to be a nano marine tank with zoanthids and maybe a pair of clown fish. Zoas come in amazing colours, and clown fish really are active little guys. Even a seahorse or two would go great in a zoanthid tank with some branched hard corals for the sheahorses to cling to.

But that is just something I would do :rolleyes:

Going with tropical fish then you wont need the live sand or live rock.
Fish wise (but please read the topics on cycling a tank prior to getting fish) the length of the tank is going to be the limiting factor.

A single male fighter would go well in there as long as the filter wont be to harsh and blow him all over the tank. Even a nice little soriety of female fighters would work and the bonus of them is you can get a real rainbow of colours within the one species of fish.

Cardinal tetras will work with a fighter but some fighters wont tolerate tank mates of any type and many cardinal and neon tetras have reduced health and vitality thanks to mass commercial breeding. My advice with just starting out is avoid tetras, especially in a new tank that will more than likely hit a few hurdles.

Its not a huge tank with lots of length so I would try to avoid fish that want a good sprint the length of the tank.

And please don't put a turtle in the tank with fish :no: , they really are not a good combination with the turtle needing certain lighting for healthy shell growth and needing a place to haul out and bask. Plus the turtle will more than like see any fish tank mates as food, and turtles are messy needing frequent water changes due to their usually high protien diet.

That tank would also lend itself well to being a fresh water shrimp tank, depending on what country you are in will determine what fresh water shrimp are available to you, but WOW there are some beautiful shrimp being kept and bred now.

Let's see, the turtle is no good, will eat your fish. The African cichlid substrate will change your water chemistry, making it unsuitable for a Betta and cardinal tetras. I just noticed from the pictures your tank is 40 ltrs, for some reason I was thinking 40 gallons. This size aquarium is way too small for African cichlids. Look at the fishless cycle thread and go that route using your existing gravel instead of buying a big bag of gravel that you'll only use part of.
Buy a test kit, the API master freshwater kit will be very helpful. Cycle your aquarium according to the directions of a fishless cycle, then once everything is ready you can add fish.
For stocking you are limited due to tank size. 1 Betta and 6 cardinals will be about all you can fit in.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back