Tap Water & Aragonite Panic

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Osborne Bazaar

Reaction score
I am new to this and need some urgent dvice. I have not purchased any fish but about to do so when my Live Aragonite sand arrives soon.
I purchased a Aquanano 40 on 30th Oct 2012. This I filled it with tap water and added tap water treatment solution and current temperature reading is 27C.

I am awaiting delivery of 40lb of live live Aragonite sand to keep a healthy pH/nitrate level.

Can I use Aragonite sand on my "tap water" tank as I have already spent a lot of money.

So the bacterial benefits from the Live Aragonite will still work ?

I am a complete beginner, sorry for all the questions.

I am new to this and need some urgent dvice. I have not purchased any fish but about to do so when my Live Aragonite sand arrives soon.
I purchased a Aquanano 40 on 30th Oct 2012. This I filled it with tap water and added tap water treatment solution and current temperature reading is 27C.

I am awaiting delivery of 40lb of live live Aragonite sand to keep a healthy pH/nitrate level.

Can I use Aragonite sand on my "tap water" tank as I have already spent a lot of money.

ive not heard of aragonite sand, whats the difference between that and playsand? also you dont say if you have cycled your filter, only that you will get some fish when the sand arrives

I am awaiting for delivery of Natural Ocean Bio Active Live 100% Aragonite Reef Sand (link below)

http://www.livesand.com/Aquarium-Sand-for-Fish-Tank-Decorations/aquarium-sand-natural-white.html

I have installed the filter, heater and aquanano40 tank is filled with tap water, and has been cycling for nearly 3 days with no fish and no gravel or sand.

ahh i see, are you going salty then, im jealous, i would love a marine tank

No, tap water that has been treated will not affect the bacteria in the sand. Just be sure your salinity is correct, that's all you need.

ive not heard of aragonite sand, whats the difference between that and playsand? also you dont say if you have cycled your filter, only that you will get some fish when the sand arrives
Aragonite is a type of coral sand/gravel. People prefer it over crushed coral or dolomite because it dissolves easier helping to maintain pH, kh, calcium, etc...

What is salinity? I am new to this.

I used Tetra AquaSafe makes tap water safe for fish, that was used on my 55 litre filled with tap water, cycling for 3 days.

The amount of salt in the water. Are you doing a saltwater aquarium or freshwater?

Not salt water, I am going to use tap water in the tank therefore is that fresh water?

Will I have a problem? With the live sand.

Yes, that sand is for saltwater use only. All the bacteria will die.
You need one for freshwater. What types of fish were you thinking of keeping? I'll find links to the correct product for you.

If you want to do African rift lake cichlids, you will want this...
http://www.purewaterpebbles.com/african-cichlid-substrates/
For all other fish this...
http://www.activflora.com/
Now these are for an instant cycle. If you can wait and do a fishless cycle, then ordinary play sand or builders sand will work.

Yes, that sand is for saltwater use only. All the bacteria will die.
You need one for freshwater. What types of fish were you thinking of keeping? I'll find links to the correct product for you.

Thank you for the links but I have already spent £55 for the sand (40lb) can I just add salt to the water? If not what is the cheapest method to obtain salt water, as I will need to undertake fortnightly/monthly water changes on a 55 liter tank. I have not decided on any fishes as I want to get the aquarium ready for tropical fishes. I like to have a betta, clown fish, cardinal, live rocks etc.

Live rock is saltwater as are clown fish. Bettas and cardinals fresh water. You need to go to a local pet store and talk to employees about setting up a saltwater aquarium. Google setting up a marine aquarium. They are not as easy as freshwater, so you need to make a decision on what you want to do.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back