Tap safe gold for Tropical fish??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pandapops001

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Okay i just went down to the lfs to buy a pair of cherry barbs, whilst in there i asked for some water conditioner as i'd run out, they didnt have any on the shelf, so the lady said i've just opened this one and i've only used a little bit, i can sell you this for a £1

I thought great, but as i seen her put it in the bag, i noticed it looked different so when i came out of the shop i had a look and it says Gold tap safe, for goldfish, i went back in and told the lady she had made a mistake and she said not to worry they all do the same job, its only for removing the chlorine etc

Now is this true, i find it very hard to believe that if 1 does all tanks that they would make separate ones, and its a completely different colour liquid

Please help, if its not okay then i have to quick foot it back to the shop as i need to do a water change

check the directions, if it says says for freshwater i assume it would be ok.

Personally I wouldn't have bought an already opened bottle anyway, but that's just me.

I've been wondering this for a whie too -_- Cos i'm helping my friend set up her tank, she had goldfish before, and we've been using interpet gold dechlorinator but im not sure if it's suitable

i figured that if it removes chlorine, there cant be a problem with it, but i dunno :/

I dont think i'm gonna get any advice on this one, (Damn this forum is so popular that your posts dont hang about long lol)

:D ah well, i've had so much fantastic advice already, i shouldnt be greedy :)

I wont be using it, and will get my partner to trek to the other lfs on his way home

PS - Clutterydrawer, has your friend been sucessfully using it then??

The lady at the fishstore is correct. They all pretty much do the same thing. If it says it removes chlorine than you can use it in any tank.

The only thing you have to watch out for is...sometimes the decholrinating products that are made for bettas or goldfish aren't as strong as the regular ones and therefor you need to add more of it.

pandapops001 said:
PS - Clutterydrawer, has your friend been sucessfully using it then??
She doesn't have any fish yet, we've been fishless cycling her tank, the fish are hopefully going in on sunday, I'll jsut have to cross my fingers I guess. -_-

nina7777, why does it need to be weaker for bettas and goldfish??

Okay i rang three different lfs's randomly from the Yellow Pages, and they all said that it works is the same way but is not as strong as the tropical version, apparentely you can use it and it will work but you have to increase the amount that you use.

So thanks Nina you were right, and i'm sure everything will be great ClutteryDrawers, thanks again for your advice

Cheers
Miranda

Most reactions

trending

Back