Tankmates for betta

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bettafrog

Reaction score
Are there any other animals I can add to a 5 gal without overcrowding it? I've got snails and live plants right now, and planning to get a betta for it soon. Could I add ghost/cherry shrimp or would that be too much? Any other recommendations?

nonono betta will eat shrimp get a big snail like mystery snail or small like nerite

Shrimps depend on the betta. I've had a betta which ignored cherry shrimps, both adults and babies; I've had a betta which ignored the adults but ate the babies; and I've had a betta which chased and killed the adults.

Nerites are safer. Virtually nothing shows outside the shell. Mystery snails have quite a lot of body outside the shell, and some bettas will nip their feelers off.

Ok thanks! What about baby snails? I have a couple rn and I'm worried my betta might try to eat the really tiny ones and if they're a little too big it could get stuck in their mouth

Ok thanks! What about baby snails? I have a couple rn and I'm worried my betta might try to eat the really tiny ones and if they're a little too big it could get stuck in their mouth
How big is the betta you are planning on getting? I think amano shrimp could be a possible option so you could get 2. Amano's will get to 4ish cm, so shouldn't be bothered by the betta.

Snails are probably the better option though.

I've kept amano shrimp with bettas and no problems, but I've heard some bettas will destroy them. So much depends on the personality of the fish. Since amanos usually aren't too expensive, it's worth a try. You could get four or five. Worst cast scenario, you just bought some live food. :)

Thanks guys! I have no idea what kind of betta I’m getting yet, I’ll probably see what their personality is like when I get them and make an update post then! :)

A trio of Celestial Pearl Danios or male endlers would probably be fine. I've kept them with multiple different bettas. I'd say no to small shrimp. They might peck at baby snails, but probably won't eat them. Nerite snails work well with bettas though.

All good advice. Be aware, though: We always worry about other fish being victims of betta agression, but some say that tankmates stress out the betta, shortening its life, especially in small tanks where critters can't get away from each other. Based on my limited experience I can't say this is definitely true, but it would explain a few things. It makes enough sense, at least to me, that small-tank bettas will always be kept solo in my house from now on. :) I don't think they care about snails; shrimp don't seem to bother them much, but other active fish might be tough on them.

Maybe.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back