Tankmates For Betta In 5 Gallon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ilovemybetta

Reaction score
I have a Dragon Scale Betta in my 5 gallon fish tank. I want to add some more fish, any suggestions. Thanks :good:

5 gallon is pretty much filled up with just a betta. You could add some shrimp. Ghost shrimp are fairly cheap and easy. But your betta might be like mine and eat them all. I had 5 shrimp in a 5 gallon with a betta and he ate all 5 within 2 days!

5 gallon is pretty much filled up with just a betta. You could add some shrimp. Ghost shrimp are fairly cheap and easy. But your betta might be like mine and eat them all. I had 5 shrimp in a 5 gallon with a betta and he ate all 5 within 2 days!

Would a mystery snail be okay??

I would think so. They do create a huge mess though. They poop everywhere. I would go with shrimp. Some bettas like them, others don't pay any attention to them. If you have a lot of plants or hiding places for the shrimp then they should be fine.

You could try an african dwarf frog. I had one and my betta only nipped at it once. You could also try ghost shrimp. Your filter can't be very strong with them or else they will get sucked in though. I would say one ADF or 3 ghost shrimp.

A couple of shrimp may work, though as others have mentioned they can become tasty snacks. Snails do produce quite a large amount of ammonia though so I'm not sure that'd be my no.1 choice for a 5 gallon. I believe there are a couple of members on here who keep a few male endlers with their bettas in 5 gallons - perhaps something to try?

If you could I upgrade to a 10 gallon then you could add harlequin rasboras or something similar. They are silver so the betta wouldn't view then add a threat. But in only 5 gallons, I would stick with shrimp.

Shrimp are a good choice but make sure there are lots of plants and hiding places. They add very little to the bioload of the tank but are very sensitive to even slight spikes of ammonia, which is why many dont last too long in small tanks which are more subject to swings in water chemistry. Also because bettas are piggies and tend to eat all their food, you must make sure the shrimp are getting their fair share of food. Not always easy to do and any leftovers that lay about may just be the shrimp's demise (see above) as the food breaks down.

I would not advise having any sort of frog in a 5 gal with a betta. Frogs really need more space and need to be spot fed as their eyesight is not so great. And since you must feed bloodworms you likely will find a very fat betta and a starving frog.

Snails are also a good choice, especially if you have sand substrate. A few trumpet snails do wonders for keeping the sand turned and looking tidy. They do produce live young, however, so a few will soon turn into many. I have trumpet snails in all my betta tanks. If you have a decent filter the bioload that an apple snail produces should be no problem, but again make sure the snails are getting their share of food.
cheers

Shrimp are a good choice but make sure there are lots of plants and hiding places. They add very little to the bioload of the tank but are very sensitive to even slight spikes of ammonia, which is why many dont last too long in small tanks which are more subject to swings in water chemistry. Also because bettas are piggies and tend to eat all their food, you must make sure the shrimp are getting their fair share of food. Not always easy to do and any leftovers that lay about may just be the shrimp's demise (see above) as the food breaks down.

I would not advise having any sort of frog in a 5 gal with a betta. Frogs really need more space and need to be spot fed as their eyesight is not so great. And since you must feed bloodworms you likely will find a very fat betta and a starving frog.

Snails are also a good choice, especially if you have sand substrate. A few trumpet snails do wonders for keeping the sand turned and looking tidy. They do produce live young, however, so a few will soon turn into many. I have trumpet snails in all my betta tanks. If you have a decent filter the bioload that an apple snail produces should be no problem, but again make sure the snails are getting their share of food.
cheers

I have gravel, would that hurt them?

wouldnt hurt them at all. They do like to borrow so sand is "better" but they will still squeeze between the gravel. I love snails!!! they serve an important purpose and can be as interesting to watch as the fish!

cheers

If you decide to keep shrimp, get a small clump of java moss. They love the stuff and you will always find them in the moss.

Most reactions

trending

Back