Tankmate question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CassCats

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I just rehomed my group of neon tetras as they were terrorizing each other and my other fish in the tank. Many cories have been nipped and my black neons were always hiding...

Now my neons are gone, my black neons are coming out again and the tank has settled down.

Looking for input... increase the black neons to a large single shoal, or get a second type of schooler?

Was interested particularly in:

Kochu's Blue Tetra (Boehlkea fredcochui)

Or

Golden Pencilfish (Nannostomus Beckfordi)

Or

Hockeystick pencilfish (Nannostomus Eques)

Tank is 46 gallons, stock:

6 black neon tetras
2 dwarf gourami (pair)
2 farlowella twig catfish
17 corydoras
14 pangio loaches

Tank is a planted blackwater. Photo was taken before I rehomed the neon tetras, little holy terrors lol
20200727_221638.jpg

Note: GH is 90-145ppm, temperature 77F, pH 7.4

Last edited:
I would get more black neons.

I don’t get why your neons are such a terror! I love mine.
I would increase the numbers of black neons if I were you.
how many total you guys think?

And @PheonixKingZ I dont get it either, they were NASTY and always fighting each other. Like one bit the face off another one, one got beat up missing half his tail and lots of scales, constantly fighting each other. They even bit the fans off my bamboo shrimp! Like psycho tetras. They made my skirt tetras look like angels!

how many total you guys think?

And @PheonixKingZ I dont get it either, they were NASTY and always fighting each other. Like one bit the face off another one, one got beat up missing half his tail and lots of scales, constantly fighting each other. They even bit the fans off my bamboo shrimp! Like psycho tetras. They made my skirt tetras look like angels!
How many gallons is the tank?

Wow, yours sound nasty. Mine are little angles, with minimal chases/nipping.

I concur to add a few more black neons, up to 9-11 in total. Then look at upper level fish or everything will be lower down. Of the possibles in post #1, Nannostomus eques is the best fit. N. beckfordi do nip other fish that get in the male's territory (this species considers the upper surface area "theirs"). Boehlkea fredcochui can be rather active swimmers, but not too much for here I don't think.

How many gallons is the tank?

Wow, yours sound nasty. Mine are little angles, with minimal chases/nipping.
46 gallon tank. 3 feet long, 2 feet deep, foot and a half deep (36"x24"x17"). I had a group of 10 neon tetras.

I concur to add a few more black neons, up to 9-11 in total. Then look at upper level fish or everything will be lower down. Of the possibles in post #1, Nannostomus eques is the best fit. N. beckfordi do nip other fish that get in the male's territory (this species considers the upper surface area "theirs"). Boehlkea fredcochui can be rather active swimmers, but not too much for here I don't think.

Ah so theoretically I could fit both the larger school of black neons (who btw never bother a soul) and the Nannostomus eques?

46 gallon tank. 3 feet long, 2 feet deep, foot and a half deep (36"x24"x17"). I had a group of 10 neon tetras.

Ah so theoretically I could fit both the larger school of black neons (who btw never bother a soul) and the Nannostomus eques?

Yes. Depending which species (new) you decide on, might be good for a second new species as well.

Yes. Depending which species (new) you decide on, might be good for a second new species as well.
If you think eques would be the better option, I'd choose them

Is there other suggestions?

Many of the small to medium tetras, provided they are not fin nippers, and given the lovely planted aquascape not fast swimmers but more cruisers. Small to medium rasboras. Pygmy sparkling gouramis? A Bolivian Ram (solitary)?

Many of the small to medium tetras, provided they are not fin nippers, and given the lovely planted aquascape not fast swimmers but more cruisers. Small to medium rasboras. Pygmy sparkling gouramis? A Bolivian Ram (solitary)?
I've got sparkling gouramis in my 20 gallon nano, and about 250 sparkling gourami fry in a grow out... but bad mix with the 46 gallon as I have a dwarf gourami pair in there.

And the dwarves in there wouldn't like a ram either, as adorable as they are

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back