Tank weight for second floor

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Lee700

Reaction score
Hi all.
Iā€™ve been out of the game for a while but Iā€™m ready to start again.

A work colleague has offerered me their fluval roma 125l and cabinet as heā€™s upgrading.
Itā€™s the perfect size tank to get me started again but I am worried.
I currently live on the second floor. The flats are just over 10 years old and as the flat is rented I have no idea what the floors are made of.
The last time I had a tank this size it was downstairs in a house.
Am I being stupid worrying?
Iā€™ve read similar posts but I had to post again for my own reassurance. I hope this is ok?

Anyone?
Judging by the silence, youā€™re all thinking ā€œargh, not another floor questionā€

I understand all flats are different but just any advice on whether a 125l tank and cabinet would be safe on the second floor would be greatly appreciated.
Iā€™ve tried googling but to be honest Iā€™d rather trust people on here who live in or have lived in a flat with a similar size tank.

Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Most of the people on this forum don't come online until later tonight, which is why nobody has responded yet. However, I am here and will put in my 2 cents worth.

If the tank holds 125 litres of water then that is 125kg. The glass aquarium, stand and gravel will add a bit more to the weight. You will probably have a total weight under 150kg. Most wooden floors should easily take that weight, and more, and if it's concrete then it should take double that weight without any issues.

I don't think there is anything to worry about with that tank. :)

Hi Colin,

Brilliant, thank you for replying.
Itā€™s always good to hear other peopleā€™s opinions.

It'll be fine. Two people on a couch weight far more than your tank. Beds can be worse and bookshelves don't bear thinking about.

Most important thing is that it's stable and flat.

Hi DrRob,

Many thanks for your reassurance. Itā€™s much appreciated.
I see your point with the bookshelves. Iā€™ve got a ton of heavy books and didnā€™t give that a second thought, probably because if the bookcase wonā€™t spill water everywhere if it fell if you get my drift.
Anyway thanks for the reply mate.

Thanks all,

Iā€™ve decided to go for it. Iā€™m collecting it tonight.
One more question, as the flat is rented, I have no idea which way the joists run.
Would this matter for a tank of this size (125l)
Iā€™m nervous of filling it later. And Iā€™d hate to come home from work tomorrow to find water everywhere!

If you are unsure which way the joists go in the floor, you can use 1 inch ply board and put that under each end of the stand.
eg: If the stand is 3 foot long x 18 inches wide, you get two pieces of 1 inch thick ply board and make them about 22 inches x 12 inches. Then you put one of these bits of ply board on the floor under each end of the stand. It will help distribute the weight.

I'm on the second floor of a very old apartment building, and I KNOW that the craftsmanship is very shoddy on the majority of it, as seen through some access panels, and the crawlspace I can access in my closet. I have a 20g, and a 10g below it, on the same stand, with only the 4 leg posts on the floor, and its holding it. I think that works out to 113 liters, or 350 lbs standard weight, if I convert pounds to kilograms, it works out to 158kg. Not sure if this helps or not? I have the stand and tanks perpendicular to an exterior wall, the legs not on the exterior wall, sag slightly, approximately 1/8" over the 2.5ft.

If the floor is wooden, look which way the floorboards run. They will be at right angles to the joists; the tank needs to run the same way as the floorboards.

A rule of thumb I have heard for the total weight of a glass aquarium complete with gravel, stand, etc, is about ten pounds per gallon, this is rounded up from the approximately 8 pounds per gallon water weighs by itself.
I would say anything about 30 gallons (About 115 liters) or less would be no worse than a big man standing there 24/7. On the other hand, a 125 gallon (475 liter) tank can be the equivalent of a small car on it's two side wheels and needs special consideration.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back