Tank untouched for 3.5 months..........Unbelievable.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

JonLeda

Reaction score
Hi All,

My name is John, I have been away for a while from the forum though mainly I looked for info and read topics.

I decided I would give you a quick heads up on what happened to me this year. May 4th I had a temperature that had been running at 40C headache, confusion, and fatigue, and massive night sweating has resulted in dehydration oh and a productive cough. Now, this was a bank holiday weekend therefore no Dr till Tuesday Morning if I could get through. In hindsight, the local mini-hospital may have been ok but I was not thinking right. I attended the GP late on Tuesday and was refused entry and had to be seen in their little tent outside. On examination, GP announced yep, think you have COVID, and you are in a bad way...my Blood O2 levels were down to 82% breathing very shallow and laboured etc. Ambulance called and I was whisked away just like that. I was so unorganised I forgot my mobile at home and couldn't call the other half it was chaos.

Arrived at the hospital and was examined again and I said "could they not give me antibiotics and let me go home" ergh no was the answer. Anyway, I was relieved when the Consultant said you do not have COVID But you do have. Double Pneumonia, Bronchiectasis (widening of the Bronchus) COPD, Severe Asthma and an enlarged heart. At least it's not COVID then I said to which I was told I was actually worse off and this was going to be a hard slog and recovery will be approx 6 months.

I was admitted to the acute units and COVID overflow etc. I spent 2 months in hospital and 4 weeks recuperating. During this time I did enquire how the fish were doing and my other half informed me she had forgotten about them outside but the tank failed inside......I eventually plucked up the courage to look at my tanks and to my surprise, they were all ok bar one who was never well anyway. Plants and fish went to town this is complete abandonment. I did take a quick sweep of an algae magnet to take a pick but not scrubbed it. I fed them some lovely live food and watched them go mad at the idea, the Buenos tetra were recreating a scene from jaws with the red-eyed tetras.

So I need to tidy up and sort the tank out and thin out the huge amount of java fern, java moss, and red tiger lotus Lillie's. What should I do? I have done a 40% water change, treated everything but I wonder if it is too plant-crowded now? I do have desires of finding another 4' tank or a few nano's and making a sort of Paludarium.

I have to seriously take things easy as I also have heart issues now and as such effort and exercise cause angina as well as picking up chest infections at the drop of the hat (4 since discharge in June) I find the hobby very sooting and time-consuming which is fine by me. Hope I have not bored you but I don't think I need to worry about the future when going away again esp. as they are well fed and maintained normally which I think was the key.

Please comment esp on what to do with the tank....South American Tropical Community
All the best,

John

20210914_152515.jpg
20210914_152605.jpg
20210914_152431.jpg
20210914_151824.jpg
20210914_152559.jpg
20210917_150741.jpg

you should cut the floaty bits and replant them down into the substrate or to a wood or rock
those may be a little unsightly
cute fish and plants!

Wow, it sounds like you had a rough few months, I hope you are feeling better!
Your tank looks really nice!
What tank size is it? Those fish are lovely, what kind are they?
The plants sure look to be doing well! I would trim back some of the tiger lotus, pull out any Java ferns you donā€™t like, and leave the moss how it is. Really lovely, I wouldā€™ve never guessed the plants hadnā€™t been touched in several months!

Wow, it sounds like you had a rough few months, I hope you are feeling better!
Your tank looks really nice!
What tank size is it? Those fish are lovely, what kind are they?
The plants sure look to be doing well! I would trim back some of the tiger lotus, pull out any Java ferns you donā€™t like, and leave the moss how it is. Really lovely, I wouldā€™ve never guessed the plants hadnā€™t been touched in several months!
natural beauty!

Iā€™d take it easy mate. Both for yourself and your fish. A few little bits of work on your tank every now and then, nothing drastic.
Take care.
Hi ClownLurch, thanks for that. Yep I am taking it easy...gone from fit to vegetable and it does take it out of you. Aquatics are the biggest healer I feel. Loving my tanks more. And the planning hahahaha drive the other half mad. Thanks take care.

Hope you are doing better @JonLeda for your good health.

Water change maybe 50% thats for sure .. scrubbing and some substrate vac will help as well.
Hi Dajuyu, I have done 3 water changes now a 40%, then 2 10% over the last 2 weeks. As for the substrate I don't think it's too bad but you never know. The filter needs attention and some algae scraping on the sides but that was obviously their food store lol

Ahhh man sorry for all that you have had to go through. Hope you are well on the mend and things improve somewhat for you in the future.

Your tank, to me, looks pretty damn good. After that amount of time and looking at the photos the only thing I would be worried about is the filter. Might just need to give it a quick strip down to make sure its all flowing ok.

Not sure what you are doing for a water change system but if you haven't already look up a "diy python" hose for emptying and filling your tank. It's a lot less work, no lifting heavy buckets and is pretty easy/cheap to put together so might make life a little easier for you.

Ahhh man sorry for all that you have had to go through. Hope you are well on the mend and things improve somewhat for you in the future.

Your tank, to me, looks pretty damn good. After that amount of time and looking at the photos the only thing I would be worried about is the filter. Might just need to give it a quick strip down to make sure its all flowing ok.

Not sure what you are doing for a water change system but if you haven't already look up a "diy python" hose for emptying and filling your tank. It's a lot less work, no lifting heavy buckets and is pretty easy/cheap to put together so might make life a little easier for you.
Hi Barney,
Thanks for the reply. I was always taught, and I had a good teacher in a chap called Ron Forder God rest his soul. He was in charge of all the fish and aquatics at Kew Gardens back in the 70' and 80's. Its a huge botanical garden in Kew London (I forget mot everyone knows these pla es esp if foreign) his home was a wonder with massive streams running in his very large conservatory etc. His mantra was plants plants then more plants nature will take over and assist the fish. No room for Algae etc.
I am running an aqua manta EFX200 and an internal sponge filter x 2. I will look at the water system as lifting buckets is a non starter now.
On filters I just managed to break the sealing clip on the side of the power head and its leaking all over the place.....aaarrgghhh.

Hi Barney,
Thanks for the reply. I was always taught, and I had a good teacher in a chap called Ron Forder God rest his soul. He was in charge of all the fish and aquatics at Kew Gardens back in the 70' and 80's. Its a huge botanical garden in Kew London (I forget mot everyone knows these pla es esp if foreign) his home was a wonder with massive streams running in his very large conservatory etc. His mantra was plants plants then more plants nature will take over and assist the fish. No room for Algae etc.
On filters I just managed to break the sealing clip on the side of the power head and its leaking all over the place.....aaarrgghhh.

Kew gardens is on my list of places to go visit. Not sure why I never have so far considering it's only a couple of hours away, probably my aversion to driving in London :)

Think I remember reading some stuff from Ron Forder years ago when I first got into planted tanks (maybe 2008ish). I fully agree a well planted tank gives the absolute best possible environment for the majority of the fish we keep. I'm sure if your tank hadn't been planted as nicely as it is it wouldn't have survived so nicely.

I was going to link to some instructions for making a python hose but then seen some on ebay for less than Ā£10 so maybe not even worth DIY'ing it nowadays.

For your filter if you have a ratchet strap to hand that will normally do a good enough job of keeping the canister together and sealed until you can get a replacement part.

i don't think you need to get rid of any of the plants, i think you should just move them around a bit

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back