Tank Too Small

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

haylz

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
so I was just browsing ebay and found this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fish-R-Fun-Aqua-Box-Betta-Nano-Tank-Betta-Tank-/280656308881?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item41586b6a91#ht_564wt_905
surely too small for a betta?

or even this??
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fish-R-Fun-Aqua-Box-Nano-Tank-Large-Betta-Tank-/280650514045?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item415812fe7d#ht_672wt_905

there are too small to all of us here, but people do take there advice and stick bettas in them, sometimes even goldfish :sad: i wouldn't go anything less than 3 Gal

there are too small to all of us here,

Half gallon jars are a standard size for many show breeders. Some use smaller, some larger, beanie boxes are a common betta breeder item. It all comes down to knowing what you are dealing with when using smaller containers for bettas. These breeders don't have any sort of magical powers, they have just done their homework, and applied what works for them.

I've used both of those tanks and currently have 3 of the smaller ones and 1 one of the larger ones.
I use the 3 small as my breeding tanks, where I store 1 female and then put one male with her.
I used the larger one for storing the extra females.

well I have my heart set on a Betta... but obv only if I can provide a good hme for him. Aside from the angelfish (which is going to a friends much larger tank somewhere in the future) (and also minus some of the molly babies if we can rehome them) would he be ok in my tank with my fish (see sig)

The smallest one i have seen being sold in peter barratts. To advertise them they store their bettas in them

My local Peter Barrats (usually terrible) had the tiny tanks in and someone was asking about it and the guy actually said "we've only kept them in overnight and they've been ok; I'm not sure about keeping them in there longer as they aren't heated".

well I have my heart set on a Betta... but obv only if I can provide a good hme for him. Aside from the angelfish (which is going to a friends much larger tank somewhere in the future) (and also minus some of the molly babies if we can rehome them) would he be ok in my tank with my fish (see sig)

I think it should be fine; you have a peaceful looking stocking in there.

I currently have 4 bettas in tanks of a similar volume to the second one posted. Each very healthy and active (which most call for a "happy" fish-i never call my fish happy-that is giving emotion to the fish...health and activity/behavior is what should be considered).
I agree it comes down to understanding water chemistry and good husbandry practices. I would not suggest new fishkeepers use smaller housing tho. Larger tanks are easier to start with until you understand the fundamentals, or you do run the risk of illnesses such as finrot if you dont stay on top of water quality. Larger volumes are easier to work with for a beginner as they are more forgiving with water chemistry (ie you can miss a waterchange without ill effects, generally), but small tanks are just fine for bettas once you understand the basics and feel comfortable with your fishkeeping abilities.
For a beginner, 3-5 gal is what I would recommend...until you get your feet wet (so to speak).
Cheers

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back