Tank Temp

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gman28uk

Reaction score
Hi, I have just purchased a small tank 40L for my daughter. I set this up yesterday and added several plants.
Although the thermostat was set to 27oC the temp of the tank is 30oC. I have now removed the lid, switched off the thermostat and adjusted the water flow to cause surface movement. Any other ideas to reduce the temp?

Presumably this is due to the current heat wave in the UK. Only room air conditioning or a chiller for the tank will be effective. I certainly would not waste money on a chiller; the air conditioner may give comfort to you and others as well as the fish, so up to you. But the fish will (should) be fine without.

The water temperature of any aquarium cannot be lower than the ambient room air temperature (which is why the air conditioner solves this). You can leave the tank cover open (be careful, most all fish will jump out if opportunity presents itself) and increase surface disturbance, which you have done. That's it. Temporary cooling via water changes or floating packs of ice are not recommended because they are temporary and result in fluctuating temperatures that are likely too extreme and too frequent. Assuming it cools down somewhat at night, that will b enough.

Several years ago before I had air conditioning my tanks would easily be in the 32-38C (90-100F) range during the day in a heat wave but I lost no fish. Feed them less often, as digestion makes them work harder and in heat you don't need that.

Since heatwaves rarely last longer than a week, maybe two weeks at most, the temperature should drop soon. It's supposed to be back down to 19 to 20 deg C by next weekend (in the north at least)

Once the room temperature drops, you may well find that the setting on the heater is not the same as the actual water temp as heaters are not usually calibrated very accurately. Use whatever setting which gives the temperature you want.

"Use whatever setting which gives the temperature you want."

Of the 2 tanks I have (need) heaters in, neither tank temp matches the heater setting, but it doesn't matter...once the heater gets the tank temp that I want, I ignore the setting on the heater

Presumably this is due to the current heat wave in the UK. Only room air conditioning or a chiller for the tank will be effective. I certainly would not waste money on a chiller; the air conditioner may give comfort to you and others as well as the fish, so up to you. But the fish will (should) be fine without.

The water temperature of any aquarium cannot be lower than the ambient room air temperature (which is why the air conditioner solves this). You can leave the tank cover open (be careful, most all fish will jump out if opportunity presents itself) and increase surface disturbance, which you have done. That's it. Temporary cooling via water changes or floating packs of ice are not recommended because they are temporary and result in fluctuating temperatures that are likely too extreme and too frequent. Assuming it cools down somewhat at night, that will b enough.

Several years ago before I had air conditioning my tanks would easily be in the 32-38C (90-100F) range during the day in a heat wave but I lost no fish. Feed them less often, as digestion makes them work harder and in heat you don't need that.
Thanks so much for your help, you've certainly put my mind at rest. Thanks

Having said that about heatwaves in the UK, I have just read on the news websites that the Met Office has issued an amber weather warning for heat in the West Country, parts of the Midlands and south & central Wales lasting until Thursday.

@Colin_T made another good point on a similar thread, which I found useful as I had forgotten: keep the tank lights off during the heat of the day so they do not add to the heat increase.

Plants need 6+ hours of light per day but will be fine with ambient daylight and evening tank lights for a few days.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back