Tank suggestions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Myrkk

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I currently have a 90L tank. I like it, but is isn't big enough as I made the mistake of getting a guppy (any guesses as to how many guppies I now have). So my plan is, keep the 90L tank for the guppies and get a 200 - 300L tank for the other fish I have. The plan is to aquascape it and once the fish die off naturally I'm going to get a schoal of small fish to put in there and have a species only tank with a few shrimp. I quite like blackwater tanks (I think that's what they're called, still new to this). So my question is, what tanks do people suggest? I currently have an all in one setup, aquaone. I like it but the filter being on top of the tank can be a pain when it comes time to clean out. I like the idea of getting an external filter to run the tank, what are the pro's and con's? I need something with a sturdy lid as my cats like to lie on top of the fishtank. I'm not over-running with space so it can't be a long low tank, it needs to be shorter and higher.
I know this should be an easy thought but I am the queen of overthinkers and now I'm not sure what to do. I'm not .able to travel to the local fish shops currently

As far as lids go, look into a glass lid. These are heavy and make it hard for cats to find their way in. I personally use internal filter, just because they are easy to clean. Sponge or HOB filters are a good option as well.

Shorter and higher tanks will leave you with less schooling fish options, which is what you want.

what length of tank do you suggest for schooling fish? I'm thinking mountain cloud minnow size, although they may not be what I end up with as I'm looking for a very natural set up

what length of tank do you suggest for schooling fish? I'm thinking mountain cloud minnow size, although they may not be what I end up with as I'm looking for a very natural set up
36 inches (3 feet) is best but a 30 inch tank is great too

Before you decide what species of fish you would like to keep, I would suggest that you consider what your water hardness (degrees GH or ppm GH) is, as this will really determine what species of fish you will be able to keep. Do you know what your water hardness is?

36 inches (3 feet) is best but a 30 inch tank is great too
A 30 inch tank is not "great" if he wants an active schooling fish. (Like Rummy Nose Tetras)

You need at least a 3ft (36 inch) tank for most active, schooling fish.

As for WCMM go, they need a minimum tank footprint of 24 inches x 12 inches. (Recommended)

Oh I've not settled on a fish yet, I need to research a little to see what will go with the set up I want and the water I have. I have very soft water. I learned early on it is best to work with what you have rather than fit the water to what you want. They were just an indication of the size of the fish I am hoping to have.

I'm hoping to have a large tank with a substantial schoal of fish, so smaller fish. I think it will look great, not to mention the fish will hopefully enjoy the group dynamics more, to have around 30 or 40 fish flitting around.

Oh I've not settled on a fish yet, I need to research a little to see what will go with the set up I want and the water I have. I have very soft water. I learned early on it is best to work with what you have rather than fit the water to what you want. They were just an indication of the size of the fish I am hoping to have.
The size of fish does no relate to the space they need.

For example, WCMM are roughly the same size as Rummy Nose Tetras, but RNT need a bigger tank.

Once you get a list of some fish you wish to have, let us know, so we can tell you if they could/can work or not. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back