Tank Still Not Cyced

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Puddles92

Reaction score
i have had a 25l tank with 2 zebra danios for the past month.
i have been doing tests with the API liquid test kit every couple of days and it always comes back the same, with 0.25 ammonia and no nitrites or nitrates.
it has a pH of 6.5 which may be affecting it but i didnt think it would take this long
i am doing a 50% water change every 2 days at the moment to keep on top of the ammonia, this seems to keep it at the 0.25 ppm level or slightly lower.
i have tried adding bacteria but doesnt seem to have made a difference
the fish seem happy enough but surely the cycle should have started by now.
is there anything i can do?
thanks for any replies in advance.

It does take longer at this low Ph. I'd say patience for another bit :) With two fish in the tank there's no other options, at least not something I would recommend. The benefit of the low Ph is that most of the ammonia is in non-toxic form(depending on temperature) so with the water changes and low ammonia levels the fish could be safe enough even if it takes longer.

Agree with snazy's comments. Also be sure to run some tests on your tap water. It may be coming in with some ammonia itself. Another thing that sometimes skews things a bit is using a compact fluorescent light source when ready your API results - they are often a bit greenish and might make you think the ammonia result is a little worse than if you used incandescent or sky light. And in the end you may need to just keep going, a month is not necessarily all that long with just a couple of zebras and a small system. ~~w~~

Most reactions

Back