Tank size upgrade / cycling

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

The amount of beneficial bacteria in your current tank will be sufficient for your current stock of fish so you could move the old filter over at the same time as transferring fish. There will be no BB on the new tanks surfaces so the cycle may well 'blip' for a couple of days but the presence of the BB on the filter means it will catch up quickly. Just keep an eye on parameters and water change as necessary.
If your current tank is planted well you may find that the plants are processing the ammonia and that the filter doesn't actually hold much BB anymore so be cautious of this. You could grow new plants in the new tank for a couple of weeks to make up for the deficit.
When adding new fish, wait until the cycle is stable and do so a few at a time so the system has chance to adjust and is not overloaded.

The amount of beneficial bacteria in your current tank will be sufficient for your current stock of fish so you could move the old filter over at the same time as transferring fish. There will be no BB on the new tanks surfaces so the cycle may well 'blip' for a couple of days but the presence of the BB on the filter means it will catch up quickly. Just keep an eye on parameters and water change as necessary.
If your current tank is planted well you may find that the plants are processing the ammonia and that the filter doesn't actually hold much BB anymore so be cautious of this. You could grow new plants in the new tank for a couple of weeks to make up for the deficit.
When adding new fish, wait until the cycle is stable and do so a few at a time so the system has chance to adjust and is not overloaded.
Beat me to it, if you aren't adding new/additional bioload, move the fish and both filters to the bigger tank at the same time.

Good info. Thanks for that ?

I do have plants. All Java Fern and Anubias on rocks. Nothing in the gravel anymore since a recent rescape

Beat me to it, if you aren't adding new/additional bioload, move the fish and both filters to the bigger tank at the same time.
Thanks for that

Even if 1 canister will be brand new and the old one not big enough for new tank water volume? (Hence adding a 2nd canister)

Yes - got the 240 currently ?
Ive just upgraded from a 200 ltr to the rio 450. really pleased with it:)

I set it up with a new cainster, left it just over a week and then moved over my fish with my established cainster.

Im just checking my water levels each day to make sure everythings ok

Thanks for that

Even if 1 canister will be brand new and the old one not big enough for new tank water volume? (Hence adding a 2nd canister)
Yes. If the original tank is well established, the deco/plants that you transfer will be colonized with plenty of BB to handle the unchanged bioload.

Ive just upgraded from a 200 ltr to the rio 450. really pleased with it:)

I set it up with a new cainster, left it just over a week and then moved over my fish with my established cainster.

Im just checking my water levels each day to make sure everythings ok
Ah great ?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back