Tank size to go for

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Paul78

Reaction score
hi there,
Iā€™m going to get my family a tank in January.
I want a 244 litre one for a rough size could go bigger or smaller. Whatā€™s the best tank and filter etc
I want to keep a couple of shoals and some shrimp maybe a centre piece fish or a pair and clean up crew.
It will be a planted tank.
Any recommendations would be great
Cheers

Be sure to have lots of hiding places for the shrimp. My betta ate a quarter of my colony in less than a week. He now has his own tank. :)

Hi,

Welcome to TFF :)

240 is a great size tank which will give you plenty of options specially if the width is a round 120cm long.

I have a 220 with a couple of shoals in and its a really nice display tank for a family room.

As for a filter you would be best getting a canister filter. I have a fluval 4 series canister what gives me double the filtration i need. There are other good canisters on the market tho like Eheim & Oase

Be sure to have lots of hiding places for the shrimp. My betta ate a quarter of my colony in less than a week. He now has his own tank. :)
Thank you for your reply.
I do like Betta fish but I did read there partial to a shrimp or two.

Hi,

Welcome to TFF :)

240 is a great size tank which will give you plenty of options specially if the width is a round 120cm long.

I have a 220 with a couple of shoals in and its a really nice display tank for a family room.

As for a filter you would be best getting a canister filter. I have a fluval 4 series canister what gives me double the filtration i need. There are other good canisters on the market tho like Eheim & Oase
Thankyou, Iā€™ve been looking at the Fluval Roma 240 tank But I could go longer width ways, and thank you for your advise

Ive got a fluval Roma 200 and they are great tanks so id highly recommend the Roma 240.

The bigger you go the more options you then have but the more time and expense needed to set up and maintain. If you feel comfortable going larger then go for for it but the 240 is a nice size tank to start and build up to the larger tanks IMO :)

If you need any help or advise stocking etc this is certainly the forum to be on. There are some very helpful and knowledgeable fish keepers on here. Blows my mind what they know about this hobby and what they dont know isnt worth knowing ;)

I have a 55 gallon a 244 liter would put you at around 65 gallon. I think it is a great size not too big to take over a room but large enough to give you room to do a lot. I have 3 shoals of tetras in mine and still have plenty of room for more. It would also depend on how large your fish grow to be.

Last edited:
:hi:
There is quite a lot to take into account. The obvious one is water hardness. The number that we care about is GH (general hardness). Some fish have evolved over centuries to live in soft water and will have short, unhealthy lives in hard water. Others come from hard water and will die in soft water. Since you will be changing water every week its best to establish what is in your tap and choose fish to suit. We need both the unit and the number. The information may be available on your water provider's website.

Do you have any particular species in mind? Hardness is not the only factor, temperature is another. This is easier to control but you need to have fish that have similar needs. Then there is compatability. Active fish vs calm fish, aggressive vs peaceful, shoal size and just plain size (big fish have a tendency to eat small fish :)). Not trying to put you off but planning for a large tank is a big deal if you want to get it right. Seriouslyfish.com is a good site to look up information and requirements for a particular species.

Lets start with your water hardness and what you are trying to achieve and then we will be in a better position to advise.

Might be difficult to find a centerpiece fish that wont gobble up your shrimps! But I'm sure someone on here can give you a few good suggestions.

There is quite a lot to take into account. The obvious one is water hardness. The number that we care about is GH (general hardness). Some fish have evolved over centuries to live in soft water and will have short, unhealthy lives in hard water. Others come from hard water and will die in soft water. Since you will be changing water every week its best to establish what is in your tap and choose fish to suit. We need both the unit and the number. The information may be available on your water provider's website.

Do you have any particular species in mind? Hardness is not the only factor, temperature is another. This is easier to control but you need to have fish that have similar needs. Then there is compatability. Active fish vs calm fish, aggressive vs peaceful, shoal size and just plain size (big fish have a tendency to eat small fish :)). Not trying to put you off but planning for a large tank is a big deal if you want to get it right. Seriouslyfish.com is a good site to look up information and requirements for a particular species.

Lets start with your water hardness and what you are trying to achieve and then we will be in a better position to advise.
No problem I will look that up now about water hardness.
And post that shortly.
Thank you for your knowledge

I have a 55 gallon a 244 liter would put you at around 65 gallon. I think it is a great size not too big to take over a room but large enough to give you room to do a lot. I have 3 shoals of tetras in mine and still have plenty of room for more. It would also depend on how large your fish grow to be.
Thank you for your reply

Ive got a fluval Roma 200 and they are great tanks so id highly recommend the Roma 240.

The bigger you go the more options you then have but the more time and expense needed to set up and maintain. If you feel comfortable going larger then go for for it but the 240 is a nice size tank to start and build up to the larger tanks IMO :)

If you need any help or advise stocking etc this is certainly the forum to be on. There are some very helpful and knowledgeable fish keepers on here. Blows my mind what they know about this hobby and what they dont know isnt worth knowing ;)
Thankyou I was looking at the 200 itā€™s a nice tank

Might be difficult to find a centerpiece fish that wont gobble up your shrimps! But I'm sure someone on here can give you a few good suggestions.
Thank you it seems that way from the research Iā€™ve been doing so hopefully some one will know

Thank you it seems that way from the research Iā€™ve been doing so hopefully some one will know

If not a couple shoals of smaller fish would look fantastic in a larger tank.

Hi there,the water hardness in my area is hard.
I would like to achieve a nicely planted tank with a couple of shoals some shrimps maybe and some bottom dwellers.
But I do want to do it right. Hence why Iā€™ve joined before I buy what I need tank wise and get that cycled properly.
I love all the angles and discus and cichlids etc but there not an option for me right now as Iā€™m just starting out.
1 species I was looking at was mollies
Not sure if thatā€™s possible
I shall look at the site you said about and see what information I can gain thank you for your time

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back