Tank size, tank gallons... Fish size?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Videl

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just wanted to know if when you put a little angel or any other fish that grows simalar in size to an angelfish in a 12 gallon, 2 foot tank, will it grow to its maximum size? If not, what size would you expect an angelfish to grow in a 12, gallon, 2 foot tank?

Nothing short of a 30 gallon tank should be used to keep angels in. The myth of fish growing to the size of their tank is true in a sadly ironic way. The fish ends up living a shorter, more painful life span than normal and gets stunted. I wouldn't recommend trying it.

My angels are kept in a 30 gallon high tank. Plus have you researched ange fish any at all. They are a mean cichlid also. Plus they will eat any fish that they can fit in their mouths. A 12 gallon I would recommend neons. :D

Basically, it's about two things: keeping your fish alive and healthy, and ensuring that they have a good life for their particular kind, getting to do the sort of things they need. This means that a 12 gallon tank is not really suited to any fish that grows larger than a few inches or produces a lot of waste- for health reasons. For good-life-reasons it will also not be suitable for any fish that is a fast swimmer, or (unless kept on its own) is very territorial. Suitable fish for this sort of tank would include: guppies, platys, corydoras, small tetras (like cardinals, neons), a dwarf gourami, honey gouramis.... It is not suitable for angelfish (too big), plecos (too big+too messy), nor really for danios or swordtails (too fast) or for any shark (too big,+ too territorial). But there is still a wide choice. A fish that is in a tank too small for it will become stressed and unhealthy long before it LOOKS cramped, so it's important to plan ahead.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back