Tank Size For Betta

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
yes that is a good size for one, wouldn't go much smaller....just make sure you can properly heat and filter the tank

yes that is a good size for one, wouldn't go much smaller....just make sure you can properly heat and filter the tank

Brilliant :)

I've seen two tanks, one 4.5gallons and the other about 7 gallons. I'd rather the 7 gallon tank however I'll have to see how much onjection I get as to how big a tank I can get.

The 7 gallon doesn't come with a light but is a light essential? I've never thought it was.

not an "essential" but you want him in a room where there will be enough light that it lights the tank - you wouldn't want to live in darkness 24/7, would you?

but as far as "essentials" go - heater and filter and silk plants/live plants! no plastic as they will shred his fin!

not an "essential" but you want him in a room where there will be enough light that it lights the tank - you wouldn't want to live in darkness 24/7, would you?

but as far as "essentials" go - heater and filter and silk plants/live plants! no plastic as they will shred his fin!

Oh there would be enough light; I just meant did he need his own tank light or would normal room light be ok for him.

Another question I had was, what are their ideal temperature range? I read on one site it was 20celsius to maybe 28celsius?

Both tanks I have seen come with filter so that is ok, it's just the bigger one didn't come with a light.

i keep mine around 76-79* F

just make sure there is not a heavy flow from the filter....or make sure you modify it by partially blocking the out flow - having been bred for those long fins, they are not adapted to swimming in currents

when i first came on here about 3 years ago, people said min size or one fighter is 1g. That is to small but i think a 3g is a decent size, however, bigger the better!

4.5 is great, 7 is even greater.

Light will help you see the fish better and will be essential if you want to keep live plants. Will also help keep the fish active and healthy as will help give him a good day and night cycle. You could always get a clip on light and a glass/perspex/acrylic lid for the tank?

Brilliant :)

I've seen two tanks, one 4.5gallons and the other about 7 gallons. I'd rather the 7 gallon tank however I'll have to see how much onjection I get as to how big a tank I can get.

The 7 gallon doesn't come with a light but is a light essential? I've never thought it was.
Two of my bettas don't have official tank lights. They both have lamps next to their tanks and I leave those on during the day.

If you have the space for the 7 gallon ( it should be reasonably easy to make space, it's a small tank size ) then definitely get the 7 gallon. 4.5 is barely do-able but 7 is absolutely great. :good:

Unless you're having live plants then no, a light isn't essential ( heater and filter is though ) though you may want to get one of you want to see your fish better.

When you say it doesn't have a light, do you mean just no bulb? Or no tank hood/lid whatsoever? A picture of the tank would really help. You can buy clip on ligts for tanks, and a coverglass or piece of clear perspex will do great for preventing evaporation and stopping your fish from jumping out ( which bettas can do with ease, they can jump pretty far/high too! )

I wouldn't keep ANY fish in a tank smaller than 5 gallons. I just cant justify it, im on a lot of Betta forums and know hundreds of owners that absolutely love there Betta's with all their heart, and keep them in like 3 gallons, i know they can live a healthy lifestyle in anything bigger than 2 gallons provided the proper care is given, but to me keeping a fish in a tank that small is a no-no, its like me living my life in my kitchen, im not sure i would like that.

I keep my Betta's in 10 Gallons each, Hence why i only have 5 tanks in my whole house.

If you have the space for the 7 gallon ( it should be reasonably easy to make space, it's a small tank size ) then definitely get the 7 gallon. 4.5 is barely do-able but 7 is absolutely great. :good:

When you say it doesn't have a light, do you mean just no bulb? Or no tank hood/lid whatsoever? A picture of the tank would really help. You can buy clip on ligts for tanks, and a coverglass or piece of clear perspex will do great for preventing evaporation and stopping your fish from jumping out ( which bettas can do with ease, they can jump pretty far/high too! )

The 7 gallon is literally a tank; it comes with a clear lid that just sits on the top. I wouldn’t dare get a tank without a lid. I don’t even know the make of it to get a picture online; it looked fairly nice; the filter was a clip on one; with a nozzle that went into the water; I wouldn’t have thought it would have been too strong (my explanation is terrible I know)

The 4.5 comes with a light attached (I have a smaller version of it for shrimp) and it has a similar lid.

I wouldn't keep ANY fish in a tank smaller than 5 gallons. I just cant justify it, im on a lot of Betta forums and know hundreds of owners that absolutely love there Betta's with all their heart, and keep them in like 3 gallons, i know they can live a healthy lifestyle in anything bigger than 2 gallons provided the proper care is given, but to me keeping a fish in a tank that small is a no-no, its like me living my life in my kitchen, im not sure i would like that.

I keep my Betta's in 10 Gallons each, Hence why i only have 5 tanks in my whole house.

See I have a one gallon for my shrimp but I wouldn’t keep a betta in there. Selfishly I’d love to but realistically I know I can’t. Hence looking for another bigger tank.

I have 3 tanks; approximately 45 gallons, 10 gallons and the 1 gallon shrimp tank. The main problem is I still live at home and trying to persuade my parents for another tank – the conditions are; it has to be small. I’ll look to re-arranging my bedroom again and seeing where there is space .

I think that's a great size! I've had bettas in tanks from 8g down to 1g, at the moment I have Lemon in a 3.5 cube which she seems to be very happy in. Blueberry (my tiny weenie girl) freaked out when she was in her 3.5 gal so now she has a 1.5.

What do you have in the 10 gallon Dipsy? Could the occupants be moved into the 45 gallon safely? If so then you could then use the 10 gallon for the betta which would save you having to buy another tank.

If the 7 doesn't come with a light you can get clip on ones that hang over the tank. Arcadia do one, and there is also another type I've seen on Ebay. Can't recall the name but type in "clip on aquarium light" and you should get several results. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back