Tank size and river current questions

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

BartokTheDog

Reaction score
So, I've had my 16 gal for almost 2 years now and am loving the hobby. I'm planning on setting up a bigger tank, and was going to take a stab at replicating an amazon river with bit of a water current. Id like to keep some pimelodus pictus catfish and possibly an oscar or other cichlid. Thanks in advance. Since this forum was so helpful when i was getting set up before, I was hoping to hear some opinions:

1. Does anyone have any experience in setting up a river current? My first thought was to use two external hanging filters, and to use an elbo joint to extend the tubes sideways to the other side of the tank, so that water is getting sucked in one end and spat in from the other.

2. Is a 46 gal. tank too small to be trying to do this with? It seems huge to me, but I know everyone on this board is always talking about their 75+ gal tanks. Cost isnt directly tha much of an issue, but I may need to move across town within 2 years, and didnt want to be saddled with an impossible situation there.

3. Being in Chicago, the local water is quite hard. Is there an effective way to soften it a bit by choice of subtrate or rocks? (I'm not trying to breed anything, I'd just like the fish to be as comfortable as possible) Or is buying special conditioners the way to go?

Most reactions

Back