Tank size Advice needed

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

W4J

Reaction score
Hi everyone, looking for some advice on what sized tank I need.
Iā€™ve been keeping fish for many years and decided itā€™s time to finally invest in my biggest tank yet for a predator fish
I am aiming on buying 2-3 Bichirs (my dream fish) as well as some large tank mates such as Oscars, maybe even a fire eel and Iā€™m open to other suggestions. The largest tank I can get would probably be 6ft x 2ft base. However prefer to buy a 5ft by 2ft. What is the minimum water capacity in litres needed? Can anyone suggest good fish combinations including 2-3 bichirs and tank size accordingly??

Last edited:
What type of Arowana do you want? Arowana need a very very large tank. I think that the 6ft tank would be too small.
Just did some more research and youā€™re right, Iā€™ll scrap the arowana idea, Iā€™ll remove it from the post. They are massive.

A 5x2x2 foot tank would do an Oscar, fire eel and couple of birchirs but a 6x2x2 foot would be better.
Great thank you. And one more thing, I could get a ghost knife fish instead of a fire eel. Do you think they would be fine in this tank as some places say they max 20ā€ and some say 3ft. And are they compatible tankmates? Iā€™m aiming to buy them all as babies.

No, the ghost knife fish should not be kept with Oscars or birchirs. They simply can't compete.

Oscars are social. So I would skip them unless you keep 2 or 3..and if they pair up remove the odd one.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back